Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #1

Share |

Crown Moulding - Inside corners. Moulding upside down?

Hi All,
I am trying to avoid wasting material and time, that I would cut two small pieces, one the left inside and the other the right inside for an inside corner. The spring is 45degrees, measured the wall corner and it is 90 degrees. Cut the moulding. They meet perfectly except the flat side of the ceiling is not flush along with the bottom. If I make them flush, then the angle is off big time.

Please tell me what I am doing wrong besides trying to do it myself?
The only thing I am thinking is I am measuring the spring wrong. I cut a 45 degree block, put the moulding against the flat piece of board and put the block in. If it was too loose then It's 52, too small, it's 38 degrees.
I even used the measuring tool I have and it too came to a 45 degree angle.

Here's some pics. Okay, can't remember how to add pics here.....added them to the photo area under crown moulding.

http://www.diychatroom.com/members/m...rown-moulding/

Last edited by mb88; 09-16-2012 at 02:05 PM. Reason: added pics
mb88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
Stair builder

Watch Gary Katz's YouTube on cutting crown, then learn how to cope your inside corners.
Keith Mathewson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith Mathewson For This Useful Post:
BigJim (09-17-2012), oh'mike (09-21-2012)
Old 09-16-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
AHH, SPANS!!!

if you lessen the miter cut a little bit the crown would bed against the wall better and close the gap at the top.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #4

the first time i ran into non 52/38 crown we were cutting some crown flat using the markings on the miter saw. it wouldn't fit right. after cutting a 3 inch piece and fitting the bottom then the top we found we had 47/43 crown. also since the corners are never gonna be as perfect as your cut you can roll them up and down in the corner to make the fit better. most crown i have seen is not 90 degrees on the back sides. they make it less to account for out of square walls and ceilings so the front edge will hit first.

Last edited by DannyT; 09-16-2012 at 09:40 PM.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:16 AM   #5

Okay, I think I figured it out. My DH bought a kreg jig which, underneath has a red tab to set the angle(the line marks are red on red....kreg, please change the line marks to black, hard to see the difference..yeh, yeh, I know, I need glasses.) anyway, that piece of assembly is held in by two screws. The screws weren't set all the way down which allowed play in the angle setting. So, u have the jig upside down set the angle to 45 degree, when you flip the jig over, that piece moves, which changes the angle you thought had....kind of confusing without seeing the piece.

Once I tightened the screws, the angles seemed to work.

I think I am going to order just a 45 degree jig, this way, I know it is set right.

Thanks all for your help.
mb88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb88 View Post
Okay, I think I figured it out. My DH bought a kreg jig which, underneath has a red tab to set the angle(the line marks are red on red....kreg, please change the line marks to black, hard to see the difference..yeh, yeh, I know, I need glasses.) anyway, that piece of assembly is held in by two screws. The screws weren't set all the way down which allowed play in the angle setting. So, u have the jig upside down set the angle to 45 degree, when you flip the jig over, that piece moves, which changes the angle you thought had....kind of confusing without seeing the piece.

Once I tightened the screws, the angles seemed to work.

I think I am going to order just a 45 degree jig, this way, I know it is set right.

Thanks all for your help.

Compound miter saw FTW
FTF-Tom is offline   Reply With Quote