Crown Moulding - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2011, 10:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

crown moulding

what is the rule of thumb for cutting the crown. Upside down, miter right and bevel left? Should I be using a compound miter saw?"

Advertisement

JennLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:34 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

crown moulding

if you are cutting it upside down you are doing so to avoid having to make a compound cut. You need to think upside down and cut it like any other moulding then.

Advertisement

organick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:41 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

crown moulding

I measure the room first. The plan for every cope to be the same way. You can either cut the moulding laying flat on the saw, or up on the angle it will be on the ceiling. I have done it both ways. You need the right compound miter to do it laying flat, and then you need to know the settings for the angles.

I mark each piece, and cut them one after another. I then cope them all back. Once coped, I cut the straight end to the proper length. Doing them all at once, and doing them right (hence the practice) saved me a huge amount of time.
25thmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 174

crown moulding

the first thing i do is determine "the lie" of the crown.. meaning what dimension of it will be against the wall and the ceiling.. i do this by holding a framing square to it and read the measurment where both edges are the same. i then transfer this measurement to the table of my mitre saw.. this allows me to set up a fence on the saw which holds the crown at the correct angle... from there i set the crown upside down and cut it on the mitre. the only time i adjust the bevel is if the mitre is open.. tweaking the bevel allws for closing up the mitre
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote