Crown Molding Spring Angle - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Crown Molding Spring Angle

Do I need to factor in spring angle when mitering my crown? I am making my cuts without a bevel, just miters. I have a book with a chart showing spring angles with their corresponding miter and bevel angles...I am assuming this is only if cutting the crown while it's laying flat on the saw.

Thanks!

GJ

Advertisement

wannabehandson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #2
Love for Construction

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabehandson View Post
Do I need to factor in spring angle when mitering my crown? I am making my cuts without a bevel, just miters. I have a book with a chart showing spring angles with their corresponding miter and bevel angles...I am assuming this is only if cutting the crown while it's laying flat on the saw.

Thanks!

GJ
The spring angles only come into play if you want to cut the crown on the flat and use the bevel feature of the saw as well as the miter. If you are nesting the crown (using in the table and the fence to rest the molding at the angle) using the upside-down and backwards technique you only need to concern yourself with the miter adjustment.

Think about it this way the two flat spots of the crown that rest against the wall and the ceiling being nested against the table and fence of the saw take the spring angle out of the equation when cutting it.

Advertisement

Last edited by <*(((><; 04-25-2013 at 12:47 PM.
<*(((>< is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to <*(((>< For This Useful Post:
wannabehandson (04-25-2013)
Old 04-25-2013, 01:07 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by <*(((>< View Post
The spring angles only come into play if you want to cut the crown on the flat and use the bevel feature of the saw as well as the miter. If you are nesting the crown (using in the table and the fence to rest the molding at the angle) using the upside-down and backwards technique you only need to concern yourself with the miter adjustment.

Think about it this way the two flat spots of the crown that rest against the wall and the ceiling being nested against the table and fence of the saw take the spring angle out of the equation when cutting it.

That's what I figured. The book I have makes a bolded note to understand which spring angle you have while failing to mention this only pertains to flat cuts. Perhaps I just should have known better...thanks for the reply!
wannabehandson is offline   Reply With Quote