Crown Molding On Slanted Ceiling - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Crown molding on slanted ceiling

I am renovating my kitchen and for the first time in a long time, hired a contractor. I want my cabinets to be perfect. I came home after work and noticed that he used caulk to fill a gap between the crown molding and the ceiling. I called him to ask why, I was told that it was due to a slanted ceiling. My whole house is slantedand has been for a long time. The molding looks terrible. My questions are as follows.
1) Is this common practice( to use caulk to fill gap)?
2) Is there an alternative?
Thank you in advance for any advice you may have.

Advertisement

sean707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:19 PM   #2
Stairguy

Rewards Points: 500

It depends. It s often used to keep a clean tight line between the ceiling in the wall. Sometimes, with large crown, you can get bigger gaps if the ceiling in not flat. But he could have installed it wrong and is trying to cover up his mistake. If the crown is over cabinets and the ceiling is indeed slanted he might have put in the crown level to match the reveal on the cabinets.

Advertisement

Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:24 AM   #3
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,072

Can you post a pic?
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
Haverhill Trade 1965

When you say slanted do you mean from settling, or is it a vaulted ceiling? It isn't easy but if it is just old and not straight it could, and probably should be scribed. We could use a little more info or pictures to know the exact problem.
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:14 PM   #5
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,098

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean707 View Post
I am renovating my kitchen and for the first time in a long time, hired a contractor. I want my cabinets to be perfect. I came home after work and noticed that he used caulk to fill a gap between the crown molding and the ceiling. I called him to ask why, I was told that it was due to a slanted ceiling. My whole house is slantedand has been for a long time. The molding looks terrible. My questions are as follows.
What do you mean by "slanted ceiling"? You're not talking about a cathedral ceiling are you?

Regarding caulk on crown molding, yes, in some applications it's very common. If trim is going to be painted, I normally run a fine bead of painters' caulk along it to cover any imperfections. But I'm talking about gaps that are tiny, nothing more.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:33 PM   #6
DIY Enthusiast

Nevermind........

Last edited by sublime2; 04-16-2012 at 11:36 PM.
sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:23 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean707 View Post
Caulk is commonly used but it shouldn't be used to fill anything more than a 1/8 inch gap. It also doesn't work real well on crown because the cabinets settle and crack the caulk. No caulk is a better option on ceiling crown. He has to scribe it to the ceiling fro perfect results and if the ceiling is bad there is no such thing as perfect.

Advertisement

jessrj is offline   Reply With Quote