Crown Molding With Recess's In Wall - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-31-2010, 05:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Crown molding with Recess's in wall

I'm going to Florida over Christmas and will be installing crown molding at my fathers house. He has a Recess in the wall where they have little decorative stuff sitting. The top of the recess is arched and the top of that arch is 4" down from the ceiling. How do you crown around that? The crown would go across the opening. Am I limited to crown that will only be less than 4" from the ceiling? Is there any other options? I've attached a pic. I'm very open to suggestions!!! Thank you in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Crown molding with Recess's in wall-wall-recess.jpg  

Advertisement

169stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:10 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

I don't have a sense of dimensions from your pictures. That is about 4 inches from ceiling to top of arch?

If your crown molding comes below the top of the arch, I think I would attempt to cut remove the part of the crown molding along the curve of the arch. This would, in effect, extend the top (curved) surface of the arch into the crown molding, but it is the only solution that comes to mind that sounds like it has a chance of being pleasing to look at.

This does not sound like a quick or easy job, however. Matching that curve on a piece of crown molding, angled to match the installed position, sounds like it might take some type of jig and lots of sanding. It may also take some filler material behind the crown molding.

It may be easier (and even better looking) to fill in the arch area.

Advertisement

oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:49 AM   #3

Yeah, that picture doesn't look like you have 4", but maybe that arch is huuuge and is throwing us off.

If you have 4", you'll be able to use good sized crown... 4 5/8" maybe 5 5/8" as the drop from ceiling down the wall is quite a bit smaller than the crown size due to it being installed at an angle to the wall and ceiling.

Buy a couple of small pieces (12" or so) of the sizes you're considering and see how it sits before you purchase all the crown.
Jay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:09 AM   #4
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,852

If the ceiling mold comes into the radius just a little you can roll your ceiling mold out at the top and make the bottom raise up to be flush with the top of the radius. If I were to roll the mold out like I suggested, I would do it over a long area so it wouldn't show.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:58 PM   #5

It is 4" from the top of the bullnose to the ceiling. The walls are tall, hence his desire for larger crown. My only fear in rolling the crown is that it will be noticeable due to the length of the wall.....it would have to be done down the whole wall....then try to make the inside corners correct so that the rest of the crown is normal. I wasn't sure if people try to cut the crown along the arch and return it horizontally or what.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:10 PM   #6

What size crown are you planning on? Like I said, if you've got 4", you can get some nice size crown in there.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:32 PM   #7

With only 4" limiting, I can only use a crown that is 5 5/8" max. From what I've read, 7" is what is suggested for ceilings over 10' and his ceilings are 12'. I need to take into consideration the size of the baseboards as well as the heights of the ceilings in the other rooms to be crowned. I'm also thinking of doing a buildup. Just not sure if that would look weird in only one room. Just don't want it to be over powering.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:45 PM   #8

Do you have other pics of the room? It might be helpful in trying to figure out what may work.

I agree that 12' ceilings look best with more robust crown (and base), just not sure what I would do in your situation...yet.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:02 PM   #9

I'll get some pics from my dad and post em up tomorrow. Tomorrow, I'll also have the other info like the baseboard size, ceiling height in the other rooms. I appreciate your help!
Old 11-01-2010, 10:06 PM   #10

No problem...I'll take a look tomorrow.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:41 AM   #11

Ok....some new info. First, here is a couple pics of 2 rooms. This may give you a better idea with what's going on.
Baseboards- 3 1/2"
Family room ceiling height-11' 10"
Kitchen ceiling height-11'10"
Formal room ceiling height-9' 2"
Height from top of bullnose in recess to ceiling-4"
Attached Thumbnails
Crown molding with Recess's in wall-living-room.jpg   Crown molding with Recess's in wall-living-room2.jpg   Crown molding with Recess's in wall-living-room3.jpg  

Last edited by 169stang; 11-02-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:03 PM   #12

couple more of the formal room and kitchen
Attached Thumbnails
Crown molding with Recess's in wall-kitchen.jpg   Crown molding with Recess's in wall-family-room.jpg   Crown molding with Recess's in wall-formal-room.jpg  

Last edited by 169stang; 11-02-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:12 PM   #13

I looked around in my shop for some large crown scraps...and I've cleaned up too well, just kept 12' and longer, and it's all 3 5/8" crown, which has a "drop" of 2 7/8" down the wall when installed.

But with that ceiling height, some larger crown moulding would look good.

Have you thought about doing a 2 piece crown? You could use the 3-5/8" crown with picture moulding 2-3" underneath....with both pieces and the space between painted the same.

You could then cut the picture moulding to the contour of the arch, basically killing it where it intersects with the arch. The crown piece would fit (2-7/8" drop) without a problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jay123 For This Useful Post:
BigJim (11-02-2010)
Old 11-02-2010, 12:25 PM   #14

Another thought...if you're going to stick with the 3 1/2" baseboard, the 3 5/8" crown will be more consistent size-wise.

Of course I'd pull the base and go bigger...how much ya love your pops?

And as jiju stated, you might be able to get away with a larger (4 5/8" ?) by rolling slightly.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:27 PM   #15

a Build-up is what I'm leaning towards.....then I could leave the build-up off in the room that is 9'2"....maybe Rolling would be tough....just because that wall isn't very long.

Advertisement