Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2008, 07:20 AM   #1
Another DIY Zombie

Share |

Crown Molding question or trick?

I have a large dining room (22 x 12 with a slight jog in one wall). Anyway, I have a section of wall, where it turns an outside corner. So, the question is....

Is there an easy way to have a piece of crown that has an outside corner (mitered) on one end, with a the other end coped? The piece is about 7' long. Yes, I screwed up and should have planned it so I had the mitered outside corner on one end, with a butt end at the other. Oh well.

One real hangup is that I am doing this alone, so I need to be able to find a way to measure it right and cut once......

Right now, all I can think of doing is to measure the bottom coped end horizontally to the top mitered end, maybe add 1/4" then cut. Then lay in place, get the mitered end tight, tack in place, then check the coped end for fit. If no good, bull off and cut the mitered end back, repeat as necessary. It's only another nail hole to fill......

Thoughts?

javan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:57 AM   #2

When installing crown, you only cope inside corners. Outside corners are mitered. If you've got one piece hanging and were planning on coping, you're in trouble. There just isn't a way to do it on an outside corner.

On an inside corner you hang one piece wall to wall, and butt and cope the perpindicular piece to it.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:00 AM   #3

Just get your wall measurement (go down about 2 1/2" from ceiling for standard 3 5/8" crown moulding.)

So....get your measurement, say 84" (7') on the wall.

1) cut an inside 45 degree corner on crown (the coped side).

2) Measure from the inside corner of the crown (BEFORE you cope) at the BOTTOM of the crown to 84 1/16" inches...mark bottom of crown...where it touches the wall.

3) Cut your OUTSIDE corner at your mark.

4) Cope the inside corner.

5) Install

6) Have a beer (only after you're done though)

J
Jay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:07 AM   #4
Another DIY Zombie

Thanks for the tips!!

I really like #6

Funny, some people have said I am brave to do coped crown molding. Now, this is MDF, and others have said that you can simply miter the joints and get good results. But, Wow! What a nice feeling when you spend the time to cope it and have it come out correct. So for the job has been OK. Only this last piece is difficult, but I should have it licked tonight!

"..On an inside corner you hang one piece wall to wall, and butt and cope the perpindicular piece to it..."

I started the wall at an inside corner. Put up the right side piece, butt end on the left, scarf joint on the right end. Coped the left side piece into the butt end of the right, have a butt end on the left end of the left piece. Same next corner, except no scarf joint on the right. Work around room until I have the L shaped wall. 1st half of the corner has the butt end, with the mitered end coming out at you. Then I go back to the previously installed right piece with the scarf joint. Add a piece to the scarfed joint that will cope into the 1st half of the outside corner piece. Now just one last piece that will cope on the right and have the miter on the left. Actually, it is already cut, but I need another pair of hands to help put it up and check it....

Last edited by javan; 06-19-2008 at 08:13 AM.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:11 AM   #5

You said a 7' jog, not 7" jog correct? What' the measurement of the other side of the jog? Is this drawing anything close?

J
Attached Thumbnails
Crown Molding question or trick?-dining-room-crown-plan.jpg   Crown Molding question or trick?-dining-room-crown-plan-ov1.jpg  
Old 06-19-2008, 08:16 AM   #6

Yeah, if you've got the time, patience (and probably the extra "practice" material) coping is the way to go.

A lot of people don't cope mdf because it can crumble at the coped edge when the normal pressure that a coped joint has is applied. You won't have that "problem" with the one piece you are talking about as the other corner is an outside corner...no pressure on the coped end.

Coping also allows you some wiggle room on out of square corners (which almost all are)...by knocking both pieces of crown on the corner either up or down (use a block that touches both pieces of crown) you can close any small gaps.

J
Old 06-19-2008, 08:48 AM   #7
Another DIY Zombie

That is the layout, almost exactly, except the 4' section is actually only 16.5". So, for my narrative above, I started with the inside corner opp the 16.5" inside corner.

Google Sketchup?
Old 06-19-2008, 09:06 AM   #8

How's this?

J

P.S. The program I use is called Chief Architect. I downloaded sketchup about a year ago....it's on my calender to learn...someday.
Attached Thumbnails
Crown Molding question or trick?-dining-room-crown-plan2.jpg   Crown Molding question or trick?-dining-room-crown-plan-ov1.jpg   Crown Molding question or trick?-crown-1.jpg  
Old 06-19-2008, 09:47 AM   #9
Another DIY Zombie

Wow, now just plop a 60" x 80" opening in that wall, all cased out and you have the entrance to my kitchen!! So cool.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:14 AM   #10

Here ya go...I was using "your" dining room in another thread for illustration purposes, I hope you don't mind.

Bland Baseboard Trim

I remodeled your kitchen as you can see....you're going "green".
Attached Thumbnails
Crown Molding question or trick?-opening.jpg  
Old 06-19-2008, 04:42 PM   #11

they just did this on hometime and I forget how they got accurate cuts first time. Thinking they used scrap lumber to duplicate correct angle since rarely are they 45 degree square corners. They said coping was a waste of time and energy!!
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4just1don View Post
they just did this on hometime and I forget how they got accurate cuts first time. Thinking they used scrap lumber to duplicate correct angle since rarely are they 45 degree square corners. They said coping was a waste of time and energy!!
Wrong....if you know what you're doing.

Once tools are set up, I can measure, cut (4 copes) and install a basic square room (8-10' ceilings) of crown in about 30 minutes. Of course, I've done a ton of crown.

J
Old 06-19-2008, 04:57 PM   #13

And...it will look sweeeet.

j
Old 06-20-2008, 07:01 AM   #14
Another DIY Zombie

I got the last piece up in the dining room last night and it looks great!!! Now I just have to paint the nail hole spots.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:08 AM   #15

Cool....now you're going to be putting crown everywhere, including the closets, right?

J