Crown Molding Issue - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2014, 10:55 AM   #1
jkk

Rewards Points: 77

Crown molding issue

The picture shows how the last cabinet does not have open space above like the other cabinets do. As the picture shows, I can run the crown up to that last cabinet and also raise the crown by attaching a 1/2" board on top of the cabinets and using that to attach the crown. If I just attach the crown normally, it looks odd ending it that way at the last cabinet. Are there other options I've missed?
Crown molding issue-image-2472422619.jpg
Here's what I meant by the normal method looking odd. The crown looks 'low' when it meets the last cabinet.
Crown molding issue-image-1416794021.jpg

Advertisement

Last edited by jkk; 04-05-2014 at 11:03 AM.
jkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:06 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Crown molding issue

Have you done the rest yet? I would bring it down instead of up and notch the crown just above the first profile change.

Advertisement

iminaquagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iminaquagmire For This Useful Post:
BigJim (04-06-2014), hand drive (04-05-2014)
Old 04-05-2014, 11:15 AM   #3
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

Crown molding issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminaquagmire View Post
Have you done the rest yet? I would bring it down instead of up and notch the crown just above the first profile change.

I was thinking the same thing. rip the crown at one of the profiles or just where it lands on the wall so the ripped portion continues over to the other wall down below the bulkhead.

a tip... check the bulkhead with a level. you may need to adjust you rip against the bulkhead so the bottom of the crown stays consistent along the cabinet and your rip follows the bulkhead. chances are the bulkhead will be lower at the edge where the metal corner bead and mud is but the level will tell you what is there.

edit.. the bulkhead will probably be high in the middle and lower at the outer edge and at the wall because of mud build up.

Last edited by hand drive; 04-05-2014 at 11:17 AM.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:25 AM   #4
Rob

Rewards Points: 552

Crown molding issue

I think it looks Ok. My only other thought would be to put a tiny sliver of crown over other cabinet.
How about a 1 by 3 or 4 up the side of the soffit on the flat and have the crown dead end into it and one flat under the soffit to hide gap above cabinet.
Dress up the soffit with wall paper. Just some thoughts.
Robpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:34 AM   #5
jkk

Crown molding issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminaquagmire
Have not done any until this gets resolved. Notching would produce a narrow, maybe 1/2" to 3/4 inch piece of crown on that last cabinet. I thought that would look funny also.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:42 AM   #6
jkk

Crown molding issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hand drive

I was thinking the same thing. rip the crown at one of the profiles or just where it lands on the wall so the ripped portion continues over to the other wall down below the bulkhead.

a tip... check the bulkhead with a level. you may need to adjust you rip against the bulkhead so the bottom of the crown stays consistent along the cabinet and your rip follows the bulkhead.
Yeah, I thought that when I saw the the gap between the top of the cabinet and ceiling. Ripping that 2 foot section with a 10" blade will be a challenge, trying to follow an irregular line.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:32 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Crown molding issue

Granted I'm looking at a small picture but the gap under the cabinet looks pretty consistent. You don't need a perfectly scribed cut. If you notched the profile out for the bulkhead, you'd have a small enough profile left to be able to manipulate it as you nail it. Any gap can left can be taken care of with tape and color matched caulk.
iminaquagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:48 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,002

Crown molding issue

I think I would notch the crown like mentioned above. Put a piece of tan masking tape on the crown where the cut goes and mark it out. Tape is so you can see your line on the dark crown. Cut the long part on your table saw and stop short of the inside corner. Cut the vertical cut on your miter box and stop short again. Finish the cut with either a coping saw or better yet a Japanese pull saw. I would take a few measurements and cut the long cut at a slight angle to make up for the bulkhead being a bit off.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:35 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 562

Crown molding issue

Maybe lower the entire run of cabinets and that way the crown will be the same all the way across?

I'd think the cabinets being a couple inches lower wouldn't be a major issue...
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:46 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

Crown molding issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktkelly
Maybe lower the entire run of cabinets and that way the crown will be the same all the way across? I'd think the cabinets being a couple inches lower wouldn't be a major issue...
?? Of coarse it would be an issue, it wouldn't let some major appliances fit under it, like a kitchen aid mixer for one, a coffee maker for two.
Scribe it like suggested by the pros.

Mary Jane Baker, Silk painter and general handy-woman
mrs fix it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:10 PM   #11

Crown molding issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs fix it View Post
?? Of coarse it would be an issue, it wouldn't let some major appliances fit under it, like a kitchen aid mixer for one, a coffee maker for two.
I don't think it would be an "of course" thing at all.

You assume that it would, and make a blanket statement, without knowing what the height is now. Quite possibly the cabinets are high enough to allow for a bit of lowering.

Many times the cabinets are slightly lower than average, so the woman of the house can reach without the need for a ladder.

The cabinets in our house are lower than "normal", and the coffee maker, along with lots of other kitchen items, fits nicely under the cabinets.

A KitchenAid stand mixer is 14" tall. Normal cabinet height is 18" to 20", so there's quite a bit of wiggle room. Dropping the measurement from counter top to upper cabinet down to 15" or 16" wouldn't, and shouldn't, be a problem at all.

We don't need to be normal.

To the OP, take some measurements and see if a bit of lowering might make it work out better in your case. Can't hurt to try.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:15 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 75

Crown molding issue

While you are right I should not of assumed that their cabinets where set at 18" standard height, and I should not of assumed the "little woman" of the house couldn't reach the upper cabinet so why not lower it. I forget that woman come in all sizes, being an amazon myself and standing at 6' what I do know is my kitchen aid mixer is 16.5 in he's in height.
http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KP2.../dp/B0002Y5X9W
So if they want to go to all the work and remove and drop cabinet height to fit a molding, no problem.

Mary Jane Baker, Silk painter and general handy-woman
mrs fix it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:20 PM   #13

Crown molding issue

Mrsfixit,

Not everyone has the MONSTER, professional level, mixer that you have, especially guys like me.

Throw the stuff to be mixed in a 5 gallon plastic bucket, break out my 1/2" drill and mud mixer, I'm good to go....

Back to the OP:

If it's possible, drop the cabinets an inch or so, mount the crown a little lower on the cabinet face frame, and maybe that would get it done. It sure seems like it would be worth doing some measuring...

Advertisement

Last edited by ktkelly; 04-08-2014 at 02:24 PM.