Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2010, 09:09 PM   #1

Share |

Crown Mold Help

We remodeled the kitchen. I added a 8' row of cabinets on a wall and plan on running 2" crown mold to the ceiling

Problem. The ceiling has about a 1/2" slope so my molding is tight to the ceiling at one end, and as I run the crown mold level on the cabinet face a gap opens up between the top of the crown mold and the ceiling about 1/2" or better....

Pulling my hair out and am close to just leaving it level and ignoring the gap??

Help???

Thx

johnpma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:10 AM   #2

Crown Mold Help

There are a couple of solutions. One is running the crown level and dealing with the gap, two is to tape off the crown and use drywall mud to fill in the gap, kind of a pain in the butt but it looks alright when done well. Or three run the crown along the ceiling and let it be un-level with the cabinets. I've done all three over the years and prefer to float out the ceiling with mud and make it at least look even

sausagefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:42 AM   #3
STAFF

Crown Mold Help

Do your cabinets go wall to wall or stop short of a wall. Is there any way you can take a hand plane and back the bottom edge back where you can lay the molding back against the ceiling. Hmmm that may not be to clear, let me try again. If you place the crown mold in place level where there is a gap over the top of the crown then lay the top of the mold back against the ceiling you will see that the bottom of the crown mold doesn't fit tight against the cabinet. You can take your hand plane and shave off the wood on the back side of the mold to make it fit tight without a gap.

Ole Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:18 AM   #4

Crown Mold Help

Some great ideas!!

The crown mold butts a wall on one end and take a 90 on the opposing end and butts into the back wall the cabinets are mounted to.

Also thought about ripping a wedge of the same color facia material and filling it that way......OLD HOMES
johnpma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to johnpma For This Useful Post:
BigJim (07-29-2010)
Old 07-31-2010, 09:15 PM   #5

Crown Mold Help

John, I think you just answered your own question. That's what I'd do too. You also have the option of painting the filler piece the same color as the ceiling
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #6

Crown Mold Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpma
We remodeled the kitchen. I added a 8' row of cabinets on a wall and plan on running 2" crown mold to the ceiling

Problem. The ceiling has about a 1/2" slope so my molding is tight to the ceiling at one end, and as I run the crown mold level on the cabinet face a gap opens up between the top of the crown mold and the ceiling about 1/2" or better....

Pulling my hair out and am close to just leaving it level and ignoring the gap??

Help???

Thx
Any suggestions for painting crown mold

mark moore is offline   Reply With Quote