Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2012, 03:53 PM   #1

Share |

Crown with LED lights, TOO MUCH???

Hello all,
I want to thank everyone for their help on this page it's great! I have some design/style issue. Below is my house rehab. I live on the water in Maryland and I have dropped/treyed my ceilings. She wanted coffered but I needed to hide the beams.
I want a TV above the fireplace with led lighting behind the crown, spacing the crown down about 2”. The trey is 10” ceiling height is just over 8 ft. we only have the can lights as in the photo’s.

My thoughts: the led/crown lights will look cool, giving enough light, NOT to turn on the other lights.
Her thoughts: we love the craftman/beachouse style, she said it will take away from that look.

Just taking a pole…

Yes all the wiring is done and a receptacle is on a switch, planned on 4 5/8 crown, semi-glossed ultra white and white ceiling, it’s like the rest of the house.

chipraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
journeyman carpenter

lights in crown for a coffered ceiling dont really work in my opinion.. if it were for cabinets yes. if theres any slight flaws in the drywall finish it will make them stick out like a sore them

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #3

I agee.
I see nothing in the pictures that looks like craftman style.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I actually think just adding crown is going to make it look awfully busy and is overkill. I too think the LEDs will be too much, even if you get those that can be dimmed. If you want to try, why not invest $10 or whatever in strand of LED rope lights or Christmas LED twinkle lights (not that that type would be the type to use) you can use somewhere else. Tape them up and see what you think before going further? You can get the twinkle lights with dimmers built in. You might have to search a bit for clear ones but I have purchased them for clients so know they are available.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipraynor View Post
Hello all,
I want to thank everyone for their help on this page it's great!led strip blueI have some design/style issue. Below is my house rehab. led strip 12vwaterproof led strip light
I live on the water in Maryland and I have dropped/treyed my ceilings. She wanted coffered but I needed to hide the beams.

I want a TV above the fireplace with led lighting behind the crown, spacing the crown down about 2”. The trey is 10” ceiling height is just over 8 ft. we only have the can lights as in the photo’s.

My thoughts: the led/crown lights will look cool, giving enough light, NOT to turn on the other lights.
Her thoughts: we love the craftman/beachouse style, she said it will take away from that look.

Just taking a pole…

Yes all the wiring is done and a receptacle is on a switch, planned on 4 5/8 crown, semi-glossed ultra white and white ceiling, it’s like the rest of the house.

SO,I THINK YOU ARE LUCK!
YolandoSewester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
lights in crown for a coffered ceiling dont really work in my opinion.. if it were for cabinets yes. if theres any slight flaws in the drywall finish it will make them stick out like a sore them
Yeah with the application you have I would say that the won't really add much. In certain rooms they work great but the room you have looks a little too modern for lighted crown

jessrj is offline   Reply With Quote