Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #1

Share |

crown install - method for ceiling edge attach

hello trim pros -

can i get some input on proper method for attaching the upper edge/nails for the crown molding? so far i have seen two methods: the "backer block" method, with a triangular support block nailed to top plate first, then crown to the block... and the crossnail method, with nails driven in an X or V or A pattern into the ceiling.

(obviously i'm speaking of the direction of the room parallel to ceiling joists/trusses, where there is nothing behind the 1/2" drywall ceiling panel.)

using the backer blocks is way too much trouble, not an option for me. as for the crossnail method... the thought of driving two nails at approx 70 psi thru 1/2 drywall with no backer scares the heck out of me. i just spent a lot of time hanging drywall, and a lot of money having someone tape/mud, and put knockdown texture and a finish coat over it... it looks really good.

to me, crossnailing at that pressure/speed with 15ga nails is gonna do one of two things... the nail is either going to go clean through, with minimal disturbance to the back of the drywall, or its going to blow the backside wide open, leaving some sort of crater, or worse. (probably one extreme or the other) any thoughts or experience with this happening?

for those of you that use crossnail method... best to shoot them in an X, or V, or A formation?

any other methods you pros use?? thanks for the help!

firstimereno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:08 PM   #2

as long as you angle them id doesnt matter, just throw some both ways as you nail it.
Run a bead of glue along the edge before you put it up also.

Also depending on the crown size, you can drive a finish nail (8d or 10d) on the right angle and catch the top plates of the wall.

Hammer450R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
DIY staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstimereno View Post
hello trim pros -

.. and the crossnail method, with nails driven in an X or V or A pattern into the ceiling.

(obviously i'm speaking of the direction of the room parallel to ceiling joists/trusses, where there is nothing behind the 1/2" drywall ceiling panel.)

u.. the thought of driving two nails at approx 70 psi thru 1/2 drywall with no backer scares the heck out of me.

to me, crossnailing at that pressure/speed with 15ga nails is gonna do one of two things... the nail is either going to go clean through, with minimal disturbance to the back of the drywall, or its going to blow the backside wide open, leaving some sort of crater, or worse. (probably one extreme or the other) any thoughts or experience with this happening?

for those of you that use crossnail method... best to shoot them in an X, or V, or A formation?

any other methods you pros use?? thanks for the help!
I shoot those in a V pattern--I don't move the gun tip--simply rock the gun one way and shoot---then rock it the other direction and shoot--two nails--one hole
hand drive (09-01-2012)