Crooked Door - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2005, 09:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Crooked door

Our front door has really gotten hard to open and close. The door appears to have shifted inside the door frame and now the leading edge scrapes the bottom of the frame when you open and close it. I measured the door frame and it is perfectly square so I don't think it is caused by any foundation shifting. Does anyone have any idea what could cause this and what I can do to fix it?
Thanks

Advertisement

Clay1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 10:52 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,318

Crooked door

check for loose screws on the hinges. might be that simple

Advertisement

Old 06-16-2005, 06:37 AM   #3
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 250

Crooked door

Also check for something rising under the door like a deck or other platform. I one had this problem with a floating deck built tight up to the house. It raised up a good 2-3" and forced the door to become unusable. The deck had to be moved out from under the threshold.
One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 10:24 PM   #4
Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Crooked door

Wood, F-Glass or metal door? How is the perimeter clearance other than where it is binding? Is the gap spacing equal or tapered?
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 01:55 PM   #5

Crooked door

:confused: i have a new mahogany door i just installed that has a 3/4 gap at top on handle side jam is level /sq. hinges tight , what would cause this..
paulspainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 12:23 AM   #6

Crooked door

put a level on it . Is it plumb?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay1g
Our front door has really gotten hard to open and close. The door appears to have shifted inside the door frame and now the leading edge scrapes the bottom of the frame when you open and close it. I measured the door frame and it is perfectly square so I don't think it is caused by any foundation shifting. Does anyone have any idea what could cause this and what I can do to fix it?
Thanks
Builtrite Residential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 01:08 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Crooked door

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulspainting
:confused: i have a new mahogany door i just installed that has a 3/4 gap at top on handle side jam is level /sq. hinges tight , what would cause this..
Sounds like you need to cut 5/8 off the bottom of the handle side jamb. This would be common if the floor was out of level, (down on the hinged side). The floor being 5/8 out of level would be common. If the situation is as I described you could have raised the hinge side 5/8 if you were going to carpet. For like vinyl you would have had to drop the hinge side to the floor, Cut 5/8 off the other side and drop it to the floor. Tile guys have a saw that looks like a trowl which they use to cut jambs after they are installed. You put a piece of 5/8 scrap on the floor next to the jamb and put the saw on top of it and saw away. After sawing, in your case you could problably cut the nails to drop the jamb down. Hope that might help. HS

Advertisement

K2eoj is offline   Reply With Quote