Creating A Round Door Jamb - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2011, 03:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Creating a round door jamb

I'm in need of advice. I am renovating our basement and one of the projects that is giving me pause is the "Hobbit door" (as we like to call it) that I want to create for a kids-only space under the stairwell.

Below is a pic of the framing (now sheetrocked and painted) that I have in place. My thoughts for this were:

- make a round jamb and stop out of laminates*
- make a round door out of the thickest v-match I can find (5/4 / 6/4)
- use iron strap hinges to connect
- scarf together a casing out of 12" stock

* I feel pretty good about being able to do all these things except the jamb and stops. I imagined ripping a 1x6 into 1/8" strips and glueing and clamping them into a circle, then running the whole thing through the table saw to size it and clean it up.

Should I use my octagonal framing as a mould for my laminates? Should I create some other type of jig?

Worthy of note is that the circle does not make the floor. i.e., the bottom of the door will be flat.

Any ideas?

Advertisement

exiledgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

nice idea.

i would use something like maple, resawn into 1/4"strips of desired jamb width.

i would make a gluing form out of mdf, based on your RO and diagonals and desired radius. use two nails and a string to lay out the elliptical shape on the MDF that hits your RO points. cut it out with a jigsaw, and belt sand tight to the line.

continue stacking up pieces of MDF and use flush cutting router bit to copy your original. screw together and repeat until the form is as thick as your jamb will be wide. i would make the form extend down to have a square bottom and sides (to give you the correct terminus for the head jamb).

then wrap the pieces of maple (or whatever) around this, roll on the glue (titebond or whatever) and i would use the lightweight ratcheting cargo straps to compress the lams around the form.

it will dry fairly ridgid (hold the shape off the form), but you'll need to add additional blocking at the top of the RO and possibly more on the side to shoot a few more nails/screws into.

then i would spray foam between the RO and jamb to further stabilize.

i think scarfing 12" stock for the casings is the easist way to go. once you have the jamb done you can simply scribe it onto the casing stock with desired reveal.

good luck!

Advertisement

wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

I assume you have already Googled "round door". There are a number of Hobbit doors that come up when you employ that search engine. Even more when you go to 'IMAGES'.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:38 AM   #4

Thanks, schmolze. I completely follow what you're saying. It sounds like more work than I was hoping to do, , and a lot of material, but something I feel I can do. I suppose, it's just going to take a lot of work and material. I knew I was setting myself up for a job.

Thanks, Willie T. Yes, I looked high and low. I did find some pretty amazing round doors that people had done. I really like some of the custom hinges out there. In my searching, I was having trouble locating any techniques for creating the round jamb, however.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:10 AM   #5

Make an octagonal post to the dimensions of your finished wall. Cut it to length for each application. Throw it on a lathe (when the glue is COMPLETELY set!) to make it round. Rip it down the middle. Two pieces of rounded jamb! You could also use a belt sander instead of a lathe
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:17 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

I'm confused. Are you trying to make a semicircle rough opening and jamb or are you trying to make a finished door jamb for the octagonal opening you have now? Traditionally rounded door openings and arches are made with blocking inside of a skin. So if you wanted a circle shaped rough opening, you'd use two skins of plywood with a circle cut out and blocking placed in between the skins to hold the thickness and provide a nailing surface/plaster surface for the finished jamb. The actual finished jam could be made with layers of bending plywood or 1/8" MDF.
iminaquagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:24 PM   #7
Learning by Doing

Once you are done - Pics Pics Pics. PLEASE!
Old 02-23-2011, 07:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminaquagmire View Post
I'm confused. Are you trying to make a semicircle rough opening and jamb or are you trying to make a finished door jamb for the octagonal opening you have now? Traditionally rounded door openings and arches are made with blocking inside of a skin. So if you wanted a circle shaped rough opening, you'd use two skins of plywood with a circle cut out and blocking placed in between the skins to hold the thickness and provide a nailing surface/plaster surface for the finished jamb. The actual finished jam could be made with layers of bending plywood or 1/8" MDF.
Oops. I'm the one that confused the issue. I think you're on the right track with a circular opening. Right, exiledgator?
Old 02-23-2011, 08:10 PM   #9
Stairguy

Quote:
This is the best way, I think. Once you have your circle framed, i would take a piece of finish plywood of choice and kerf the back so it bends. Kerfed plywood bends very easy. The kerfs can be hidden by the casing. the toughest part would be making your opening round. Tough to do now but still possible
Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:48 PM   #10
Learning by Doing

Making the round shape for the opening only requires a piece of string, a nail and a pen.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:30 PM   #11
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Haha funny the first thing I thought of when I saw this title is hobbit door. I am toying with the idea of making one for my crawlspace or even server room.

I slightly brainstormed it in my head, and what I think I would do is build a semi round door with planks, or plywood, or w/e. Then find the center, put a stick or something and attach it to a jig saw, then just do a big circle. That would get you a perfectly round circle. Could do a similar process for the jamb, maybe.

The biggest challenge though, is trying to figure out a hinge system that will be strong enough. You could get some big metal hinges custom made, perhaps from Mordor.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:17 PM   #12

Quote:
I'm trying to make a finished circular jamb for the existing RO. Nothing is being painted, so I want to try to make it out of wood, not MDF, though I may be OK with plywood (just an ugly a 3/8" reveal to the casing).

In hindsight, I suppose I should have framed my RO as the circle. However, this is now what I have.

I'm leaning towards making the circle jig schmolze suggested, though I may try and bend my laminates into my existing RO first to see how well it takes shape.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertyme View Post
This is the best way, I think. Once you have your circle framed, i would take a piece of finish plywood of choice and kerf the back so it bends. Kerfed plywood bends very easy. The kerfs can be hidden by the casing. the toughest part would be making your opening round. Tough to do now but still possible
Interesting. I could still scab in a round RO, though I don't want to lose much in the way of radius.

If I did a plywood jamb, how tightly spaced would I need to make my kerfs to get a nice uniform bend?
Old 02-24-2011, 02:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
Haha funny the first thing I thought of when I saw this title is hobbit door. I am toying with the idea of making one for my crawlspace or even server room.

I slightly brainstormed it in my head, and what I think I would do is build a semi round door with planks, or plywood, or w/e. Then find the center, put a stick or something and attach it to a jig saw, then just do a big circle. That would get you a perfectly round circle. Could do a similar process for the jamb, maybe.

The biggest challenge though, is trying to figure out a hinge system that will be strong enough. You could get some big metal hinges custom made, perhaps from Mordor.
As I mentioned, I'm planing on gluing together vmatch. I'll be making a radius out of luan or similar and cutting the circle with my router. sand as needed.

Here's a heck of a hinge staight from Mt. Doom: link

I haven't shopped out my hinges yet, but want something like this:

I framed for it...
Old 02-24-2011, 03:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by exiledgator View Post
I'm trying to make a finished circular jamb for the existing RO.
You fooled me. You said round jamb originally instead of circular frame.
Millertyme has it right

Advertisement