Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2006, 06:51 AM   #1
JDP

Share |

creating psuedo studs

I am installing shelves in a closet. I was able to nail into studs in the back - but have nothing more than drywall on the sides. An attempt with anchors on one side led to a hole (ah, 5 X 6in). I went to a local lumber yard and got enough wallboard to repair the hole. The gentleman was nice enough to provide me some advice - drop wood through the hole where the shelf brackets would be screwed in, screw the wood to the wallboard above and below, then repair the wall using the wood for some backing, like it was a stud.

As a result, I wouldn't need anchors for that spot, because, as he put, now I've got some real meat to screw into. I joked, maybe I should do in for the other spots too - he sent me off with more wallboard in the event I did make more whole.

Is this a legit suggestion? If so, what is this method called? If so, can anybody provide me with a link to how to do it or provide me a little more detail on how this is done.

JDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 07:12 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

creating psuedo studs

Yes, it would work if all you were going to install were a light weight shelf and NEVER PUT ANYTHING ON IT.

So, in reality, the answer is NO. It will not work.

What you should do, is this: When we install shelves in a closet, we install what would best be described as a 'skirt board' (1x) over the entire width of the back and a piece on each side, form the back up to the nearest found stud in the wall.
What we use for stock varies by what system we are installing. If we are planning on installing a cloth hanging rod, we would use a wider 1x board to hold both the rod and the upper shelf.

You can use clear pine. You can use 1x3 or up the 1x width.
You would attach this board directly to the studs. Then install your shelving to this OR on this. We install ON it.

Let me know if you have more questions...

Good Luck

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 07:32 AM   #3
They're all fixer-uppers

creating psuedo studs

I'm trying to understand this the best I can. First off, I'm struggling trying to understand how you made such a huge hole using anchors?? Depending on what you are going to put on the shelves, they make anchors that should hold up just find under pretty descent weight - Primarily the steel anchor hollow wall anchors

like this

However, there are other ways as well.

What size is the closet and what size shelves are you putting in. If you are installing deep enough shelves, and there are studs somewhere in the wall, like toward the front of the closet, you can use horrizontal pieces of wood, something like 1.5-2" or so and make little tables for the shelves to sit on. You know, installing the wood horizontally along each wall, right, left and rear, so that the shelf could sit down on the top edge.

As far as installing a stud to screw into, I'd try other things before I started tearing apart my walls to install a stud.
J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 08:09 AM   #4
JDP

creating psuedo studs

The closet is 38 inches wide. The shelves I are lightweight, the reinforced cardboard (MDF Composite Board - 1 inch thick). They are 11 inches wide. I plan on putting a second one 6 inches wide along side it for a total shelf width of 17 inches. I am attaching to the walls, 3/4 X 3/4 poplar horizontally, to lay the boards on, just as you described. Nothing fancier than that.

As far as the hole - (LOL) the anchor had loosened, so my better half decided he'd make a poplar slat a little more study by hammering in a nail at the one end - well - a little too hard with the hammer and the poplar busted thru the wallboard - the hole had to be bigger for the amount of chalk that crumbled.

Last edited by JDP; 08-29-2006 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:22 AM   #5
They're all fixer-uppers

creating psuedo studs

That makes sense....

The material you refer to might be melamine?

There are no studs at all along the wall to scew the rail into, even in the front?
J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 08:27 AM   #6
JDP

creating psuedo studs

No studs at all - I even had to toe nail the back slats at the corner. I wouldn't be able to reach the stud in front due to the molding.

Yes, that's was it - melamine.

Last edited by JDP; 08-29-2006 at 08:31 AM.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:46 PM   #7
remodeling pro

creating psuedo studs

Run a 1x4 band completely across the back wall and the full depth (Probably 24 ") of the closet on the side walls. There will be studs in the corners into which you can toenail a large finishing nail, unless the closet was constructed as an afterthought by a previous owner. The cleat on the back can be smaller tha 1x4 if you prefer , but anything smaller on the side walls will not receive the ends of a typical hanging bar.When you talk about "anchors" , I wonder if you are trying to install wire shelving. If so, I know your frustration. Anchoring all the clips and shelf supports into the sheetrock with the trash anchors supplied is just giving yourself something to repair later.

troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote