Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2008, 11:14 AM   #1

Share |

Create Window in Master bathroom

This would be the biggest project ever in my career if I'm able to go through with it. This would totally impress the wife if I say I think I can do it!
I want to add a average size Window in our Master Bathroom. Inside is Drywall and outside is brick with Wood Studs.
I thinking with the appropiate tools, Measure, cut drywall and studs (no eletrical) cut brick after everything is squared up. Re-inforce brick with steel plate, install new window frame and window, Cauck, repair any necessary Drywall, Clean up mess. And enjoy Sunlight while relaxing in the master Jucuzzi.
How much more difficult is it than what it seems? Any suggestions or recommendations?
I am a computer guy by day and handyman and husband by night. My skill level is not expert, but I"m always satisfied with every job I have completed.
Any suggestions on cutting or removing the brick?

bladesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:07 PM   #2
Drywall contractor

Nothing ventured, nothing gained......... I would however recommend subbing out the brick work. Not that easy to just cut a hole and stick in a window where the brick mates up perfectly. You'll also need to put a header above the window to carry the load. What's above?? Just the roof, or another floor or two?? Got to support that while you tear out studs and put in your header..... Drywall repair will be the easy part. Not saying you're NOT capable, you just need to be sure you ARE. I leave the computer stuff to my brother-in-law and he leaves the construction (at least the heavy stuff) to me. Don't mess with the structural integrity of your home unless you're sure of what you're doing. Put an add on craigslist in your area. Maybe a contractor needs a web site built.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:43 PM   #3
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

I would recommend saw toothing the brick back so you can install the window if it comes with a nailing flange, this way you can pan flash the window correctly. and install the brick so you don't see any saw cuts in the brick around the window. you can then return the brick right up to the frame. plus it would be easier to install the lentil. BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote