Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2008, 07:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

coving mitres

Hi, I bought a small triangular tool which gives me a 45 angle but also lies the saw over at another angle to create the bevel where the two edges meet on ceiling coving. This tool is too flimsy to be totally accurate.

I also have a slide mitre saw but do not know the second angle that i need to tilt the saw head over to. Can anyone help with this as i would much prefer to do it right.

Many thanks.

gspot01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 03:55 PM   #2

coving mitres

I'm assuming you're talking about coping crown or cove moulding? Or base or base shoe?

Do you have a coping saw? You need one for sure. I rough the coping cuts with a coping saw and then use flat and round files, and I also use round sanding drum sleeves to clean up curves.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:00 AM   #3

coving mitres

http://www.kelleher.com/documents/Coping.pdf

Learning to flat cut compound mitres can be confusing at first and it really helps to have a little hands on training and lots of experience. If your new to this I find it better to just set the saw table angle (blade rotation) and to keep the blade tilt angle square to the table. In other words skip using the compound setup on the saw for now. You've already used you saw to cut straight 45 angles on both pieces of an inside corner moulding. Using the guide above to cut crowns is exactly the same except now you have to angle the pieces of moulding on your saw table to mimic how they fit against the wall and ceiling and you are going to cut the 45 or so degree angle on just one of the two corner pieces and then cut out the moulding profile using a coping saw.

To make clean looking inside corners when installing crown moulding you want to actually run one piece flush into the corner and then cut 1/2 of the angle of the corner (typically 45 degrees) on the other piece and then "coping" out the profile that was revealed by the cut. The cut out profile will then allow for slight variations in the corner angle. Easy huh? Actually it is, after you've done it a few times.

A good rule that I learned a long time ago is "measure twice-cut once" and it really applies if you're just learning or in my case even after doing this for years.

I've tried to crash course this as there are many good guides online and very likely here on the DIY Chatroom forum. (I'm new to this forum and I think it's great)

So take a look at guide above and here's another fairly good guide

http://www.houseoffara.com/guides/inside-mitre-cut

Also go to Youtube and search for "installing crown moulding"
Attached Thumbnails
coving mitres-mitre-saw-setup.jpg   coving mitres-coping-inside-corner.jpg  
Attached Images

crawdoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:55 AM   #4

coving mitres

That's a decent read crawdoogie...

Here's some additional links for your reading pleasure:
http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuild...x?nterms=61656

and here's an example of a person that uses an angle grinder for coping large crown.