Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #1

Share |

covered deck into additional family room?

im new at this so work with me.... i have a 15x15 covered deck supported by four 4x4s which is setting on my concrete driveway at about 3 feet high to the floor. the deck is the same size as my living room which has a bay window. i am wanting to box in the deck, (with all new wood, joists plywood and all of that) and tear out an additional 3 feet past the bay window to make it a bigger living room. the thing thats got me wondering is i have my block around my whole house at 3 feet high and want my deck/new living room to have the block to match up to look uniform with the rest of the house. the question is since it is only supported by four 4x4s can the new be dummy footers to match the look of the rest of the house? in addition like i said it will be on my concrete driveway so im assuming i will have to cut my driveway since im positive its not completly level to match my block. any comments will help.. thanks..

rsmullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:00 PM   #2

We could really use a picture of what you have.
Almost never a great idea to do what your suggesting for many reasons. 4 X 4's do not count as a foundation for living space, trying to insulate an open foundation will always be colder at floor level, most likly unless someone over built that porch the floor joist will not be wide enough.
A foundation needs a footer, not just blocks sitting on 4" of concrete.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:42 AM   #3

Assuming your area has building codes, was the deck built under permit??? From your description, I am guessing it was not. If that is the case, you will have to scrap everything and start over.

If it was built under permit, it will still need additional work before it could become part of the house structure, as suggested above.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:17 AM   #4
Disabled wood vet

You'll need to pour grade beams (continuous footings) around the perimeter to support new 3' block foundation according to code and abandon 4x4 post supports.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:10 PM   #5

yes i plan to scrap everything except the roof. theres no way i would build an addition on those 4x4s. and yes i want the 3 ft. high block not only to match the rest of the houses foundation but for the support!! what i was really wondering is since the decks 4x4 support system is sitting on concrete (my driveway) how deep should set my footers just for an additional room. since i have a basement im not wanting to dig as deep as that just for an addition to my family room!! thanks!!!!
rsmullins is offline   Reply With Quote