Countertop (Formica) Mess And Husband's Ego - HELP! - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2007, 01:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Countertop (Formica) mess and husband's ego - HELP!

Hi all.

To keep this short, I am a flooring/design professional and know tons of contractors. We have a new post formed countertop that my impeccable, long-time countertop contractor offered to help us with. I mentioned that to DH and he insisted he could do it himself. Because I do design work with this stuff, I know that even pros have issues with this type of thing, as do many long-time flooring installers, so I know what that's all about.

Without my knowledge (while I was at work) my DH, who is totally DIY challenged (believe me - I've been with him 27 years) went ahead and absolutely made a mess of this installation. He is really "rammy" and somehow wrecked a small corner out of one side of the corner mitre, a nice chunk out of the backsplash drywall, and I have an uneven line of drywall missing just above the splash that likes like crap.

The sad part is that I have company coming in a week and I am so embarassed...but he has so far made no effort to fix anything or even get started on it (I have to re-paint the kitchen because of this drywall mess). I am at my wits end here, as he is being unreasonable when I expressed my displeasure about him not calling the contractor, so now he is acting like he doesn't care.

Grrrr..May I post pics here on this site? I'm not that internet savvy, but do have some digitals of this mess. I HAVE to start repairing this myself and have even considered putting a ceramic tile backsplash there, but, of course, the drywall has to be repaired anyway, so I've kind of put that job away!

HELP!

Advertisement

frustratedwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Umm, help with what? You don't seem to be asking for any advice...

Advertisement

scorrpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:33 PM   #3
Carpenter/Builder

Rewards Points: 10

When you move the pictures over here, and quit playing in the other sand box I might help
neolitic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:10 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

You could start by shopping for the tile/backsplash that compliments the counter, either 4" or 6" squares.
Glue the tiles to a 1/2" sheet of plwood cut to the same height of the tiles with a bucket of premixed "Latecrete", via Lowes or similar thinset, which you can also purchase from a any tile dealer and most Home Depots etc.
Leave a 1/4" or more gap/grout line between the tiles. Once the tiles have cured to the 1/2" plywood, you can glue the back with construction adhesive and attach the entire 1/2" ply and tile board over the laminated backsplash, with screws between the tiles. Add some small/narrow tile/trim on top of this to cover the plywood and then grout.
RemodelMan is offline   Reply With Quote