Counter Top Over Washer/dryer - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Counter top over washer/dryer

Hi all,

I have a washer and dryer in my kitchen and would like to put a counter top over it (picture attached). I thought I would build a box of sorts and then attach a butcher block on top. I don't plan to put doors on the front. This is in my small kitchen. It will likely hold some relatively heavy appliances, such as a mixer. Also, given the limited space, I would like to keep the width to a minimum.

What I'm struggling with is the amount of support I will need. I am unable to build a full box (i.e. I can't put a bottom or back on it). I am thinking I will do the following:

3/4 inch plywood for the two sides of the box
2x4 supports down to the floor between the washer and dryer
3/4 inch plywood on top
A couple of 2/4 horizontal supports along the back for additional support
Attach leg supports to top with L brackets
Attach leg supports/top to wall with L brackets

Questions:
1) Does the above plan sound unreasonable?
2) How/should I attach to the floor?
3) Any ideas for leaving access to the w/d connections?

Sorry for the basic questions, but don't have much experience building this sort of thing. Thanks for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Counter top over washer/dryer-img_0039.jpg   Counter top over washer/dryer-img_0040.jpg  

Advertisement

tbick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,704

put a piece of plywood, cut to size, on top of them, as is. and see how that performs for you. i am betting that unless you put engine blocks on it, it will do just fine.

then, if you are happy with the results. install the top you would like to have.

Advertisement

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

You'd want to consider just how difficult it'd be to service the appliances. Better to make a cabinet with the two sides to carry (most) of the load of whatever counter you add to it. That way WHEN you need to pull an appliance (repairs, hose replacement, lost items under/behind) then you won't have to muscle what might be a very heavy counter off it.

That and at the left side will help prevent the panel of the appliance from getting all dented (which would look crappy).

You might want to consider going with an actual cabinet on the left. One with a pull out trashcan and a drawer above. The height being taller than regular counter level would probably require it being a special order item, but nothing horrendously expensive.

Then just put a cleat on the right-hand side wall with a spacer strip to hide the gap. Wouldn't likely end up taking any more space than how you've got it set up now.

Don't know that I'd bother putting a support in the center, as then you're going to have a gap that'd have to be covered. Which would start taking up more room. This would depend on the type and weight of the counter material. I'd think a butcher block top would have enough strength to span the left-right gap and rest on the appliances without posing problems. Especially if you need to remove one of them for service. Doing something in tile or stone might present weight issues.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 29

Make sure to leave clearance to add soap to the tray. I have seen someone build a beautiful cabinet enclosure for a front loader, and then they couldn't put any soap in it.
cube17576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:44 PM   #5
Still going...

Rewards Points: 500

What brand of washer and dryer is that? I know whirlpool for a while sold a top that did just that for their units made of plastic.

http://tinyurl.com/kuap53r

Master Bath, still going...

Last edited by ChrisDIY; 09-22-2013 at 10:49 PM.
ChrisDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:23 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,052

Have you though about raising them both on stands? I built a wood support box under my dryer to save our backs, about 30 years ago, way before they sold the manufactured ones...
Gary
Old 09-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #7
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

I just got a pair of appliances with their stands. I recently saw a picture of a similar set that had an open shelf underneath, which made a perfect place to store the laundry baskets. Kinda wish I'd seen that idea before spending on the drawers...

In this case there appears to be a window behind them. Raising them further might not work as well. But it certainly does make it a bit easier on the lower back having them a little higher.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

I did exacly as you want...I used 3/4 ply for sides. One between washer, and one between dryer and sink. Ends of the counter were supported by cleats on the walls.

For countertop, I put 3/4 ply, and melamine-surfaced particle board over that. Exposed edges were covered by painted-and-routed trim board.

I can tell you that the counter top is PLENTY strong.

For access behind, I cut a pass-through hole in the sides, adjacent to the wall, about 18"x18'. Outlets and water supply are above countertop, with pass-through for hoses and cables. Only the dryer duct requires one to crawl under the counter during installation and removal.

Advertisement

oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote