Could I Get Some Help And Ideas On Trimming Out My Cabinet. - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2012, 11:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Could I get some help and ideas on trimming out my cabinet.

Hello, I started building a cabinet to hold my 225gal fish tank. I have the base of it done and I am very happy with the way it came out. It looks finished and its smooth and just looks good. The problem comes in on the top piece that covers the tank and has a lid that lifts up so I can access the inside of the tank where the lights will be. The top is sort of complicated and I just dont know what would look good to finish it off. If you could help me that would be great or idea's. The Line you see on the top left going from the middle to the top, that whole middle section is the hood the hinges are on the top of that hood so it flips open upwards. That is where I start having my trimming problem I need two sections of trim the top hood door and the bottom I think please let me know what you would do.

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/.../IMAG06141.jpg
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/.../IMAG06151.jpg

Advertisement

Last edited by ufoman420; 02-01-2012 at 11:22 PM.
ufoman420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Here is an idea...use pieces of fluting, like you have at the bottom, and maybe another target block at the bottom of the hinged hood. Attach the pieces to the hinged hood only, so when lifted, they are part of the hood. If the fit is good, it should look nice when closed. You may need some cabinet door catches to hold the hood tightly shut to eliminate gaps. If you want a crown around the top, you may need to make a hinged lid and attach a small crown or decorative trim to that. When you need to open the front hood, you would first lift the lid so the crown was out of the way so the hood could go up. Can you picture it?

Advertisement

MNsawyergp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #3

Ok, that sounds good I think that would look good i just dont want it to look cluttered. That would work do you think the 4" fluted would be to wide on the top or should i try to find like a 2" or 3" piece. I forgot to say that im going to router out the trim on the inside and attach a piece of frosted glass as well. So with that being said should i put one large piece of glass or should i do a center divider as well?
Old 02-02-2012, 12:03 PM   #4

You don't want too much overhang in comparison to what is attached, otherwise the fluting will wobble and be weak, so I would match it up with what is on the bottom. I think the continuity of the design will flow better, also. About the glass, I would not only enclose it with the fluting on the ends, but also make a trim at least at the bottom to enclose it. Then you shouldn't need a center divider. The top of the glass could go behind the crown moulding in the lid I was describing. I debate whether you need a target block at the bottom. I lean toward "no". Instead make the bottom trim first with a rabbet for your glass and make it thick enough for your fluting to set on. You would end the rabbet in the bottom trim under where the fluting will sit so the glass groove continues up the fluting.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #5

Thanks, I think I understand. But I will not beable toput crown onthe top the cut that you see coming down on the left is actually the door that lifts upward and is extended to the end. I would just have to trim from the topto the sides and bottom of the door. The hinges are on top of the whole hood you cant see.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #6

I understand about the top. That is why I said a lid would have to be hinged or loose. When you want to lift the front, you would first lift this lid with a crown or other trim attached to it up a couple inches to get the trim out of the way and then lift the front.

Advertisement