DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Cordless Tools

9K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  DecksEtc 
#1 ·
Obviously I know I will in time be buying cordless tools, I wanted to know what minimum voltage you all recommend and what brands you like? I am completely new to carpentry, trying to get a job with a big co. in my city. So I'm just trying to learn what I can.

Thanks,
Sean

#2 ·
Hello Sean and welcome,

I use several cordless tools. Dewalt, Bosh, Sears. One thing I have learned the hard way is I should have gone with one brand. The batteries will work together and you don't end up with several charges to carry around.
I find for drills 14 volt is a good choice for me. They are faily light and have enough power to do what I need. Deck screws etc. Battery lasts a couple of hours while the other ones charge. I have both a Dewalt and a Bosh drill and I kinda lean towards the Bosh. It seems to have a bit more control. If I need to drill some large holes or allot of them I use the corded. In regards to saws, the bigger the better. I have a set from Sears. Sawsall and small circular 19.5 volt I believe, and while they do the one or two piece job the batteries don't last long enough between charges.
I would stay away from things like Rayobi and B&D unless all you need is an occasional use.
Good luck.

#3 ·
The best choice in power tools (cordless or corded) is Ridgid.

My work shop was outfitted with Delta & Porter-Cable stationary power tools until 3 years ago. I sold all of my D & P-C tools and bought ALL Ridgid tools.

Now I have replaced all my portable power tools with Ridgid.

If you are planning to get into carpentry full time, I suggest 18v minimum. These will give you the driving, drilling, and cutting power you need. Anything less then 18v don't last long enough on the job.

Ridgid also has the best warranty & battery replacement guarantees.

Good luck on your job search! :)

#4 ·
Don, that's a pretty bold post. It is impossible to say "XXX is the best". The best for (or to) you possibly.

I DO NOT like Rigid tools. One of the main reasons is they are only sold by home centers. It is a fact that home centers sell a different grade of tool than a tool supplier or hardware store. Even for the exact same tool.
I also can't stand DeWalt. Others swear by them.

I myself like PC, Milwaukee, Bosch, Panasonic and Makita. With Makita being my fav. I think Makita cordless drills are far better than most. Better quality and much better batteries.
If you're going to go "inexpensive", or DIY grade, it's hard to beat some of the Craftsman stuff. Decent tool for not a lot of $$.

If this is for trade use check out the new Milwaukee 28v(?) stuff. Not cheap but very good. I have not held one in my hand yet but they are getting rave reviews.

#6 ·
I don't know which is best, but I know the 18 volt Dewalt kits have been great for me! And that is using them on a daily basis.Of course it is important to use good quality blades and bits.Since buying the kits and being really impressed with the reciprocating saw(twice the power), my corded ones are dust collectors.I'm sure the other makes are good, but I have no reason to change.Unless I receive a free sample!

As far as Ridgid is concerned those are the only plumbing hand tools I will use.

The only corded tool on my truck is a Hilti hammer drill which speaks for itself.

#7 · (Edited)
CarpenterDon wrote previously:
"
The best choice in power tools (cordless or corded) is Ridgid."

I forgot to put "IMHO" after that statement. My mistake, sorry. :rolleyes:

Ridigd did a lot of test research and development, as well as, test marketing, using "professional" contractors, to see how their tools stacked up against other brands out there. The feedback from the contractors was in the 80 - 90 percentile positive catagory.

Ridgid has produced a line of tools that is just as capable in a "professional" contractors hands as it is in a DIY'ers!

I don't understand why all these people are having so many problems with their power tools breaking down and not working? There is a certain amount of care that you must take to insure that your tools will last.

All of my P-C portable power tools worked and ran just a good the last day I had them as the first day I bought them. My Bosch drills, now 4 y.o., are still operating on the same batteries that they came with, and yes I do use them everyday, for most of the day (hanging cabinets, drywall, building decks, etc.)

Just because Ridgid tools are ONLY sold at a "Home Center" is no reason to give it the old cold shoulder. BTW there also sold at plumbing suppliers too.....right next to the Ridgid plumbing tools, which most plumbing contractors and general plumbers swear by! That would like a plumber saying that they wouldn't use Ridgid plumbing tools "just because they are available at HD, Lowe's, etc."

Ridgid has a loooooooong and well established history of quality with their plumbing tool line. Well it's the same with their power tools as well.

As I said before....."They've done their homework on the development of these tools!!"

#8 ·
CarpenterDon said:
[/font][/i]

I forgot to put "IMHO" after that statement. My mistake, sorry.

Ridigd did a lot of test research and development, as well as, test marketing, using "professional" contractors, to see how their tools stacked up against other brands out there. The feedback from the contractors was in the 80 - 90 percentile positive catagory.

Ridgid has produced a line of tools that is just as capable in a "professional" contractors hands as it is in a DIY'ers!

Just because their ONLY sold at a "Home Center" is no reason to give it the old cold shoulder.

That's like a plumber saying that they wouldn't use Ridgid plumbing tools "just because they are available at HD, Lowe's, etc."

Ridgid has a loooooooong and well established history of quality with their plumbing tool line. Well it's the same with their power tools as well.

As I said before....."They've done their homework on the development of these tools!!"

The Dewalt kits I have are from HD and the last Ridgid pipe cutter I bought was from HD. The supply house can't touch their prices! I think curiousity is going to make me purchase a Ridgid cordless kit. Ridgid is the leader in my industry and certainly has never let me down.

#9 ·
Myself, I just switched from Craftsman to Hitachi for my cordless combo kit and all I can say so far is that the Hitachi kit is AWESOME! Time will tell on the battery life, etc. But so far the performance of the all the tools in the kit has far exceeded my expectations - I had to set the 1/2" drill to "13" to drive 3" decks screws because it has so much torque.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.