DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Cordless or Corded Nailer?

7K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Ron6519 
#1 ·
Not sure if this goes here or tools. Please feel free to move.

I am trying to decide on something here and need some advice. I have to finish up some baseboard molding - mainly quarter round but will have to do other base and window molding here and there.

I am thinking of going with the Paslode 900600 Angled Finish Nailer. I am thinking this would be fine for the work I need to do. I would need it to do 3 bedrooms, 2 dens, one VERY LARGE suite and two bathrooms. Mostly quarter round.

Should I go the cordless route? Or should I invest in a compressor and a pneumatic nailer instead? If I go that route, I would get a Makita compressor the 2 1/2 HP - 2.7 gallon I think.

Just kind of confused on which route I should take. I might be doing some deck work later on and can see using the pneumatic for it better than a cordless.

Suggestions? Also - I am planning on going with a 16guage. Am I on the right track here?

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
I had a DeWalt cordless and it was excellent. But, I sold it and bought several different nailers and a compressor. Much better. Lighter. More powerful. Greater versatility. Unlimited hours of use. If you buy a quiet compressor that can be easily carried about AND if you get a really good soft, thin and supple air hose, you can do much more with a multi-nailer outfit than you can with just one gauge cordless. That includes staples as well. Also, you can spray with a small inexpensive Critter spray gun.

#4 ·
I was in the same boat a year ago. I couldn't even find a decent corded electric, much less afford a cordless with batteries and charger. I got a killer deal on a Porter Cable 5-piece with 6 gal compressor - less than Home Depot's 3-piece. It's noisy, but it lasts a while even filling up 31" Jeep tires. And now I have a gravity-feed paint gun, soon to get an air ratchet...

#5 ·
Go with a compressor and several different kinds of nailers. You will get alot more of additional use out of a selection of nailers.

FWIW: When we install trimwork, we don't use "one kind" of nailer. We generally will use several different kinds of guns (straight, angled, brads, staplers, pin-nailers: 16g, 15g, 18g, 20g).

The only time we oersonally, end up using our Paslodes is in the cold outside for certain applications, or interior, for quick installs on multilevel floors.

#6 ·
Whatever nailer you get for this job, won't be used for the deck. That will require a different catagory of nailer. You might even need two, a framing and a palm nailer.
Air nailers are less problematic then battery powered units. Currently I have 2, Senco 25 finish nailers on the way to repair. I've spoken to a few guys on jobsites with the airless nailers. Whether it was Paslode or Dewalt, they needed more time in the repair shop then their pneumatic brothers.
But they are handy, as Atlantic stated.
Ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.