Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2006, 09:02 PM   #1
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Share |

Coppa Woodworking - Arch top doors

I need to replace a storm door on the front of my new/old house. I wanted to build one but my wife put the kai-bosch on that saying, "that's gonna take waaaay too long and you need to get to work on the [insert any of the other 389 projects I have pending]." She then presented me with the following website for Coppa Woodworking:

www.coppawoodworking.com

Has anyone had any experience with the company or read any reviews/articles about their products, i.e. quality, workmanship, etc?

I'll be working on [insert any of the other 389 projects I have pending] while I wait to hear back!

Jimmy

PS-My wife is really an awesome person, BTW!

BigJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:27 PM   #2
Master Craftsman

Have you looked at Lowe's or HD. I've seen the wooden screen doors there. Of course it depends on if you have a standard opening. I've also seen vinyl screen doors and even installed one. Simple to do.

Dave.

Old 11-22-2006, 11:09 AM   #3

I ordered a custom size screen door from Coppa Woodworking. I paid to have it painted with a GLOSS finish and also paid to have Coppa match the paint color to a Sherman Williams paint sample chip I provided. I was assured on the telephone by Stephanie Coppa that the finish would be a GLOSS and that they could match any color.

The door arrived when promised, but color DID NOT MATCH the chip and finish of paint was a SATIN or FLAT finish--Not GLOSS. I will now need to purchase paint and do the labor myself. I called Coppa to discuss a refund of the painting charge. The owner of the company [His name was ************ I think] was initially very rude to me, used abusive and profane language and refused to discuss a refund.

He admitted that the door was painted with the wrong finish, and told me I should just repaint it myself. He said "the idiot girls answering the phone don't know what they are talking about" when I told him I was assured of the proper paint by his customer service agent.

He became increasingly abusive, resorted to name-calling and finally hung up on me, after telling me "I didn't have it in writing, so tough luck."

I want the buying public made aware of this companies poor business practices and customer service.
sunpowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:00 PM   #4

Exclamation

NEVER EVER BUY FROM COPPA WOODWORKING!!!!!
I sent one of my clients to their website to pick a door design. We needed two doors, one of the doors arrived with the upper screen ripped, because the only packaging used was very thin cardboard on the face of the door and tape on the ends and sides. So, I called and was met with the worst customer service I've ever experienced. The upper screen's spline is nylon rope! Yes you read that right, rope. The spline is not inserted on face of the door like every other screen door made. It is inserted in the center of the door opening! Why? because they offer custom made doors however, the stiles for the doors are routed in mass production style, meaning, they route out the stiles and all the horizontal rails of the door completely from end to end, instead of creating a true mortise and tenon where they are joined, then they cut, to length, the height and width of the requested door. So, after assembly there is an empty routed groove where ever wood doesn't perpendicularly meet one another. So, how do they remedy this? The insert a 3/8" rope spline and staple it every 1/4", yes every 1/4' inch. There were over 300 staples in this rope spline. The door had a mid rail dividing the door in half, so just in the upper half there were over 300 staples. The lower half of the door came with the spline groove routed in the face of the door as expected.
On the phone, I asked to be sent a new door, you would have thought I was asking them to give my one of their arms, I figured since this door came unfinished and was assembled in the most bizarre way I'd ever seen that it wouldn't be a problem. I had no idea how wrong I was, they offered 25.00 to go and get the door rescreened assuring me that it would only cost 10.00 or pay for the shipping both ways from Va to Ca and they would rescreen it. Well, I tried to install the screen myself with no success. I took the door to a local business that re-screens doors, they looked at the installation method like I was holding something from outer space. They said, in all their years they had never seen a screen installed that way, but they would do their best. Well, 25.00 later the screen was installed but very unsatisfactory to me and my client. So, now the only fix is to route a 1/8" groove in the face of the door to accept the appropriate spline material, then fill the unnecessary routed groove with a custom made piece of wood and stain, then re-hang the door for the 3rd time. They should be put out of business for the way they treat customers. I explained that I wasn't informed of the way the stiles were assembled with the upper, middle and lower rails. They said they didn't have to inform me of that.
Ok, Iím done, but for the sake of sanity never ever buy from them.
Roberts Renoavtions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 12:52 PM   #5
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Wow, this is one of the reasons that I love forums.

I was considering purchasing a screen door from Coppa since they were one of the only vendors that I could find (at the time) that made round top doors. It was pulling teeth to get a response to my RFQ, in fact it took me 3 attempts just to get one. Let's just say that that in itself made me pretty gun shy and now, based on what I'm reading here, I'm really glad that I didn't reconsider.

I am now working with a company called Yesteryears out of New York (upstate, I believe). They're making me a $4000 custom round top door and I've just recently decided to have the round top screen door added to the order. In contrast to what I've read herein about Coppa, these people are nothing but professional.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:17 PM   #6

Both of those complaints are first posts.

sometimes all it takes is that one button to be pushed.
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:44 PM   #7

Roberts Renoavtions was so worked up, he spelled his name wrong.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:57 PM   #8
Mod / ArchiBuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Roberts Renoavtions was so worked up, he spelled his name wrong.
Ron
Good Find!
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:38 PM   #9

Hmmm... I new on here, just trying to find out about wooden screen doors since I'm finally making some home improvements. I haven't been able to find out much about any of the online screen door companies, so I'm glad I found this forum.

Coppa is one of the companies I was thinking of going with since they're in Los Angeles, but not sure sure about these bad reviews.
I would go with a wood screen door from Lowes or Home Depot, but not sure if the pine is nice enough (will probably paint, so it may be fine).

Any recommendations?
Thanks!
heather

hapahaole is offline   Reply With Quote