Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2011, 11:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

coordinating new door threshhold with flooring

I'm installing a new pre-hung door along with the rest of the non-load bearing exterior wall (there's an existing beam supporting the roof that I'm not going to affect). I've attached a picture (photo 1) of the edge of floor that I've built up by about 9" or so. I'll be hot-mopping it for water-proofing before installing the wall sill plate and door as seen in the photo 2. The issue is, in photo 3, one can see the base of the inside face of door which is up about 1-1/2" thanks to a piece of 2x4 composite material. My flooring to go on top of my sheathing is only 1/2"-thick which would leave about an inch of drop from the threshold down to the finish floor surface! Is this normal and, if so, how is it accommodated? With a big piece of trim?!
Attached Thumbnails
coordinating new door threshhold with flooring-photo-1.jpg   coordinating new door threshhold with flooring-photo-2.jpg   coordinating new door threshhold with flooring-photo-3.jpg  

muncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #2

After posting, I noticed that the photo order is off. The first picture is actually "photo 2", the middle picture is "photo 3", and the last picture is "photo 1".

muncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:44 PM   #3

You should be able to pick up a sloped threshhold to reduce the height. Andersen used to carry these to use with their Patio and French doors.
Or you can fabricate one yourself that matches the floor species.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote