Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #1

Share |

"Converting" carpeted stairs to hardwood stairs.

The stringers are routed I think is the right word, to accept the pine (?) treads which were covered in carpet. I cheaped out on full hardwood treads when I bought everything a while back, so I have stair nosings, and hardwood planks with which I am going to do this.

I assume I need to cut the current nosing off. Best way to deal with the "hole" that is going to be in the stringer? Sandable filler? I plan to paint the risers and stringers white.
Also, I'm going to need to use something as a new riser face, since I will have old riser + ~3/4" of the old nosing.

I'd appreciate any guidance here. Thanks.

Last edited by Dave88LX; 03-23-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Dave88LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
JOATMON

I think we need pictures in order to give you a better answer

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #3

Here's what I'm working with. If I were staying in this house, I would probably tear them down and rebuild them as an open tread design. I just need this "good enough" to be rentable, but safe, yadda yadda.

I will be using the same nosing as is on this edge shown here. Unfortunately it's not a great match with the hardwood, but, "good enough" and a hell of a lot better than what I have.

Last edited by Dave88LX; 03-23-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
JOATMON

I assume there is nothing under those treads? Can you pull one (tread) off and show us what it looks like?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
Old 03-23-2013, 02:04 PM   #5

I can't pull off a tread because they are slid into grooves in the stringer. I was planning to just lay the floor on the top of them, and use some type of wood as a new "riser cover" for lack of better term.

This is where the question of what to do comes in about the holes that will be in the stringers if I knock the nosing off the existing treads.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

You will not be able to lay anything over them, without raising the height of the rise. It would be better to have a mill shop construct new stringers, treads & risers in wood & stain color you want. It is going to be a easy rip out for what you have, and when the mill shop comes to install the new unit, it will go back easy as long as everything was measured out correctly.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #7
JOATMON

What Greg said.....

The only exception will be if the bottom riser is shorter than the rest....then you 'could' put a tread on top of your existing treads (the increased height would be the same all the way up)....after you remove the bull nose....but then your going to have the issue at the top step....you would still have to remove that one and have a new one made.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:55 PM   #8

Yeah the whole staircase is very easy to rip out. I had to re-square the staircase to the stair landing when I was doing my wood flooring a couple years ago. It was only a couple nails or screws holding the whole staircase in.

I know what the rise and run means, but not sure it wouldn't end up even after. I'm thinking if I use some sort of 3/4" wood as a new riser face, and the 3/4" hardwood as the new tread, then everything should still work out to same?

Course I'm not a carpenter, I'm just trying to get this house ready to rent w/o breaking the bank.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #9

Where's the ballister, and how do you plan on adding a rail with it built like that?
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #10

I will get some dimensions and come back after I get my 2- and 4- year old under control.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #11
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave88LX View Post
I will get some dimensions and come back after I get my 2- and 4- year old under control.
Under control? Just wait....it gets worse.....

I have 5 kids.....

Old 03-23-2013, 03:19 PM   #12
STAFF

Just my two cents, I would scrape and refinish what is there now, I refinished some a couple of years back like your's and they turned out looking good.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
What Greg said.....

The only exception will be if the bottom riser is shorter than the rest....then you 'could' put a tread on top of your existing treads (the increased height would be the same all the way up)....after you remove the bull nose....but then your going to have the issue at the top step....you would still have to remove that one and have a new one made.
I was wondering what the person that did our basement stairs was thinking. They flipped the stringers upside down, so the first step is like stepping off a cliff, due to the rise is too high by a 1" 1/2- 2".
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Under control? Just wait....it gets worse.....

I have 5 kids.....
Whoo! Bless ya! I don't know how people do it!
Old 03-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #15

Here's what I have going on currently:
  • Current treads: 10" from the riser front to the tip of the nosing.
  • Current nose overhang: 1 1/8".
  • New tread depth will go to ((10") - (1 1/8" current overhang) + (3/4" false backer) + (3/4" nose overhang)) = 10 3/8"
  • Current risers: 8" from tread top to tread top.
    • Exception is the top step which is 8 1/2" to the top of the top stair landing. Fine with carpet probably, but with the 3/4" hardwood on there now versus carpet, it brings it to 8 1/2".
    • By putting 3/4" hardwood on the top tread, the height of only the top step will be reduced back down to 7 3/4".
  • Current bottom step rise is also 8" from bottom stair landing to top of first tread. If we put 3/4" hardwood on the treads, this difference will mostly be made up by tiling the landing (backer + thinset + tile).

My county code states 7 3/4" maximum rise, 10" minimum tread. It sounds like I was out of (new/current) code from the beginning (1979), unless (most likely) the code changed after the house was built. I understand that when doing renovations, you must bring things into current code. I know that you will most likely advise against breaking code...

I present to you my sweet Visio creation.

Last edited by Dave88LX; 03-23-2013 at 04:36 PM.