Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2013, 02:13 PM   #1

Share |

Converting Basement stairs to Ramp walkway

I know the code for building a ramp inside the house, but I am looking for plans on how to do this. The basement is stipped down to the studs so I can literaly build any type of ramp.

The ramp is not really for a wheel chair access but for my future wife who can not walk up steps without extreme pain.

Senathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #2

Welcome to the Forum!

what is the difference in floor heights? An accessible ramp is 12" in length for every 1" of height (2009 IRC will allow 1:8 instead of the normal 1:12 under difficult conditions). Most codes require a minimum of 80" of head room ....... may want to check out an electric lift depending on height, many times you can find used ones fairly inexpensive.

don't know if you'll find plans online. I typically build ramps with 2x8 joists at 12" o.c., spans are based upon wood species and grade and loads on the ramp.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
Roofmaster

I was going to say. I think you will end up with a slide, not a ramp. Really sorry for your wife. Pain is not fun. My wife and I both have Arthur and other stuff. Sucks, and no doctor wants to give you the meds you really need.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ramp