Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-19-2011, 11:12 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,030
Share |
Default

Constructed maintenance free patio step


I am going to be removing my wooden 3 ft patio step and replacing it with a 6 ft maintenance free removable step.

Does Ultradeck, Azek, etc....sell an already-built step in different sizes that I can buy?

dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:09 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Default

Constructed maintenance free patio step


Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur1 View Post
I am going to be removing my wooden 3 ft patio step and replacing it with a 6 ft maintenance free removable step.

Does Ultradeck, Azek, etc....sell an already-built step in different sizes that I can buy?
Steps need to be site built to conform to both code and specific site characteristics. Using composite material will require you to have at least 6 stringers to support the decking of a 6' wide staircase.

__________________
Ron
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
B. Franklin 1759
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:20 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,030
Default

Constructed maintenance free patio step


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519
Steps need to be site built to conform to both code and specific site characteristics. Using composite material will require you to have at least 6 stringers to support the decking of a 6' wide staircase.
What would the materials cost approx? What manufacturer would be the best to use? Azek, Fiberon, UltraDeck
dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Default

Constructed maintenance free patio step


Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur1 View Post
What would the materials cost approx? What manufacturer would be the best to use? Azek, Fiberon, UltraDeck
How are you going to build this if you can't figure out what you need and the price it's sold for?
__________________
Ron
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
B. Franklin 1759
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:07 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,030
Default

Constructed maintenance free patio step


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
How are you going to build this if you can't figure out what you need and the price it's sold for?
I'm going to hire a carpenter. Just wondering what it might cost is all.
dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:18 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Default

Constructed maintenance free patio step


Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur1 View Post
I'm going to hire a carpenter. Just wondering what it might cost is all.
You call contractors to the site, explain what you want and they give you estimates based on what materials you specify.
__________________
Ron
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
B. Franklin 1759
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:34 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,030
Default

Constructed maintenance free patio step


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
You call contractors to the site, explain what you want and they give you estimates based on what materials you specify.
So far I have gotten $300-$350...
dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:57 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Default

Constructed maintenance free patio step


Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur1 View Post
So far I have gotten $300-$350...
You realize, you never mentioned how high the staircase will be. So a figure, any figure, has no meaning to someone who hasn't seen the site.
Is there any reason you haven't posted a photo?
__________________
Ron
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
B. Franklin 1759
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:10 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,030
Default

Constructed maintenance free patio step


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519
You realize, you never mentioned how high the staircase will be. So a figure, any figure, has no meaning to someone who hasn't seen the site.
Is there any reason you haven't posted a photo?
Just asking about the best material to use. Maintenance free preferably.

Last edited by dinosaur1; 06-20-2011 at 09:59 PM.
dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:34 PM   #10
Member
 
concretemasonry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Posts: 3,707
Default

Constructed maintenance free patio step


How did they give you a price if you did not know what to build it out of. - Sort of like putting horse and cart in the wrong order. If you specify what you ideally want, the price will change, since they are probably trying to be a low bidder with minimal material cost.

How are you going to hold it up and what to anchor it to?

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:01 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,030
Default

Constructed maintenance free patio step


Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry
How did they give you a price if you did not know what to build it out of. - Sort of like putting horse and cart in the wrong order. If you specify what you ideally want, the price will change, since they are probably trying to be a low bidder with minimal material cost.

How are you going to hold it up and what to anchor it to? Back to my question. What have people used successfully that has lasted the longest and looks the best. A nice sold maintenance free material.

Dick
Quoted price was for using Azek.
dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:48 AM   #12
Mod
 
kwikfishron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kansas (NCK)
Posts: 7,179
Default

Constructed maintenance free patio step


Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur1 View Post
Just asking about the best material to use. Maintenance free preferably.
There's no such thing.

__________________
A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words
Especially In The DIY Chatroom
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tiling outdoor step kristinmcdonald Tiling, ceramics, marble 6 06-08-2009 11:02 PM
Step footing has gaps joshoc Building & Construction 4 05-06-2009 04:11 PM
new deck or paver patio meth Landscaping & Lawn Care 7 06-06-2008 05:20 PM
How Should I Frame this Single 10' Wide Step? Chris' Place Remodeling 4 04-02-2008 09:31 PM
New Patio & Weep Screed Woes DeepDish Building & Construction 3 12-03-2006 08:11 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.