Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2009, 11:10 PM   #1

Share |

Compressor for Finishing Nailer

I will be getting a few nailers for home use. Nothing larger than a 15 gauge and have been waiting for a combo kit with one. Because the combo kits usually have 16 gauge or lighter nailers, I will probably have to buy the pressor by itself.

What do you think of this little 3 gallon job on sale for $79.99 with a cheapie accesory kit. Remember, this is DIY.

Description: Oil-lubricated compressor provides homeowners with a lightweight, portable source of air power for many do-it-yourself projects. Direct-drive, horizontal tank compressor delivers 2.4 SCFM at 90 PSI. Mini

My concern is it is a little minimal. Most 15 gauge operate from 70 to 120 PSI. I imagine, and am only guessing, that you only need the 120 if you are driving a 2-1/2" (I first wrote 1-1/2") nail into hard wood.

Last edited by Klawman; 11-21-2009 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Correct size of nail
Klawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:52 AM   #2

A oil type compressor is probably more expensive and more cumbersum than an oilless type. Most small pancake type compressors will handle several framing nailers at one time. I am sure they will easily run a finish nailer.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:59 AM   #3
Man of many hats

Take a look at the Black Friday ads. Home Depot, Lowes and Sears all have compressors and nail guns on sale. Lowes has a cheap 2 gallon, 2 tank w/nailer for $59 and a 4 piece nail gun kit (including the 15g you want) for 169. I'm sure the quality would not last the pro for long, but it might work for small DIY jobs. I've shopped Lowes and HD on Black Friday for many years and never have had to deal with crowds because all the shoppers are at Best Buy and Walmart...
Old 11-21-2009, 08:11 AM   #4
Landscaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler View Post
I've shopped Lowes and HD on Black Friday for many years and never have had to deal with crowds because all the shoppers are at Best Buy and Walmart...
thats good to know!
DBRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:50 AM   #5

Just Bill, This is an "Oil-lubricated compressor ".

Wrangler, I have been waiting for Black Friday to get a deal on one of those pancake pressors and with a gun set, depending on what is in the set. They are usually not oiled, but are probably about the same quality as this. Lowes will probably have the Bostitch on sale and HD will have Porter Cable. Each also carry even lower end brands.

As for the Black Friday crowds, a guy at teh HD said they intentionally opt not to lower prices to the point that they generate the ridiculous crowds. (A few years ago my son and I did the all night thing at a Wallmart for kind of an adventure and to possibly get that great deal on a notebook PC. What a mess.

I kind of want to stay with HD or Lowes and would like to get something rated for slightly higher PSI, like 135 or 150 for a few more bucks but will settle for something like this.

Thanks all.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:18 AM   #6

Klawman,

I have a 6 gal Bosch compressor out in my garage (came with 2 finish nailers) that works nicely but is pretty heavy for me to lug around. In my workroom where I make window treatments and do upholstery I have a smaller one which I recently replaced with a Craftsman 125 psi, 1 HP, 2 Gal, oil lubricated. It is lighter, so when I need an air compressor in my home this is the one I use.

I first bought a Porter Cable from Lowe's but had to return it -- didn't work. The next one would not get enough pressure in it to shoot a staple and there was NO adjustments (self adjusting - HA!) so it was returned as well. JUNK. At that point I went online to see what others had to say and found quite a lot of positives about the one I ultimately ended up with. I went to each manufacturer's website and read all the feedback on every small compressor - yeah, I know I'm sometimes pretty anal.

This Craftsman had lots of good feedback -- not all the Craftsmans did. I've had it a year and am pleased with its performance. The price was $100 - not on sale. The accessories that came with it are crap, however. It is much heavier than the old one it replaced, but I'm a gal who is getting wimpy in my old age. A man probably wouldn't think it heavy. Good luck with your decision and I hope you find a good sale too!
roxksears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:34 AM   #7

Thanks roxksears.

This big srong man a bad wrist, a touch of arthritis here and there, and some disc problems, can appreciate a less weighty pressor. It sounds as thought his one is the same model as yours, except it is a 3 gallon. Perhaps Sears swapped out the tank, perhaps you have a 3 and not a two. I bought one for pickup locally, but can cancel anytime before pickup. That holds one for me why my wife wants me to wait for the Black Friday sales in hopes I can get something slightly better or if there is something in a package deal. I think this will do.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:12 PM   #8
Landscaper

anyone with the Dewalt 1 or 2 gallon compressors?
DBRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:56 PM   #9
DIY staff

Just a word on pressure ratings--That 2.5 cfm at 90 lb. ---
The industry chose 90 lb so you can compare out put with different brands.
The compressor probably pegs out at 120 lb or 150lb--
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:03 PM   #10
Man of many hats

Not sure if you underatood from my post, but you don't have to wait till Friday. You can go view the ads for most stores right now and get a head start on your BF shopping. Just google 'Black Friday ads' and browse the descriptions or view the actual ad scan itself.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Just a word on pressure ratings--That 2.5 cfm at 90 lb. ---
The industry chose 90 lb so you can compare out put with different brands.
The compressor probably pegs out at 120 lb or 150lb--
Besides the description given on Sears web page;

Description: Oil-lubricated compressor provides homeowners with a lightweight, portable source of air power for many do-it-yourself projects. Direct-drive, horizontal tank compressor delivers 2.4 SCFM at 90 PSI;

the print ad says it is a "3-gal. a 125 max. PSI air compressor".

Unless I get a much better deal Black Friday, I think I will go with it. Or does the max 125 psi suggest it may not quite fill the bill if I buy nailers with operating pressures of 70-120 PSI?

Oh'Mie, did you see the nifty lil coping tool I picked up for just $12? I posted a picture on my coping thread.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:04 PM   #12

It's definitely a 2 gal. I didn't see mine listed on Sears website today so might be a model they no longer have available.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler View Post
Not sure if you underatood from my post, but you don't have to wait till Friday.
Wrangler. Put on your Stetson and make it a 10 gallon. I didn't understand that a lot of stores are previewing the BF ads, even though my wife told me that they are starting to come out.

You are right. By goolgling I can not only find them, for instance Lowe's is out, but there are sevices listing all the stores that have them out and will email you as other stores BF ads come out. For instance, http://www.black-friday.net/bf/lowes-black-friday.html

They list the items and prices and for details I go to the store's web site.

For example, a llittle Cambell Hausfield with accessory kit and a 2-in-1 brad/stapler is $59. Not what I want but interesting. I will check out the ads. CH apparently makes some low end junk, and I beileve the Husky brand at HD and the low end stuff like the Craftsman I posted the pic of, are actually CH, but interesting.

I will definitely preview the Black Friday adds. Thanks.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxksears View Post
It's definitely a 2 gal. I didn't see mine listed on Sears website today so might be a model they no longer have available.
It may be the same model upgraded with a slightly larger tank. It may have been downgraded in other less obvious but important specs. One thing I understand I may want to stay away from is an auto-regulator. Have to be able to manually adjust when the compressor comes on as well as the pressue being fed. I may have this wrong.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:54 PM   #15

You're right, you want one you can adjust yourself!

Tags
compressor, finish nailer