Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-22-2009, 05:00 PM   #1

Share |

Composite Deck Screws

Hi all,
I'm in the process of building a deck. I'm using those dual threaded screws for composite deck boards. I've had a few that right as the head touches the board it strips. These are buggers to get back out at that point. Does anyone have any ideas on how to sink 'em the rest of the way? Can you use a punch and drive them below flush and then use a rubber mallet and flatten the material over the head? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
John

John_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:05 PM   #2
Experienced goon

Composite Deck Screws

Are you using an impact driver? (Not a hammer drill) If no, go get one (the impact driver).

jpelzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:37 PM   #3
the Musigician

Composite Deck Screws

what exactly strips? the board? the hole? the head of the screw pops off? i'm confused, as usual.

DM
Old 06-22-2009, 06:40 PM   #4
Umm.. U sure thats right?

Smile

Composite Deck Screws

How long are your screws? if you dont want to buy the impact driver use soap on the threads.... 2 people.... one to soap up, one to drive... i swear it works...
f8lyer8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:44 PM   #5
morningwood

Unhappy

Composite Deck Screws

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_F View Post
Hi all,
I'm in the process of building a deck. I'm using those dual threaded screws for composite deck boards. I've had a few that right as the head touches the board it strips. These are buggers to get back out at that point. Does anyone have any ideas on how to sink 'em the rest of the way? Can you use a punch and drive them below flush and then use a rubber mallet and flatten the material over the head? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
John
Please Please, Do NOT use a mallet on that beautiful expensive composite decking. You spend lots of money on that sweet decking for its looks and low maintenance. When someone takes a hammer to 'fill in' the holes made by the screw, in my opinion, it ruins the look. It looks shoddy (that a word)?

Instead use a clip system to fasten the boards or if you have to screw from the top at least use a countersink bit and counter sink your screws. It will look much better trust me. It takes more time, but looks much better (and professional).

And yes never screw deck screws with a drill---spend the cash on a impact driver. You will wonder how you got by without one.

Hope that helps.
rahfiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:11 AM   #6

Composite Deck Screws

Thanks all for the replies. Let's see, it's the PT joists that strip, I'm using 2-1/2" screws, I own an impact driver but was told not to use it. I've been pre-drilling the holes and following that with my cordless and a torx bit to set the screws. I was thinking I would drop down 1 drill size and see if that helps the stripping. I have about 6 screws so far that the head sits up above flush. Any guesses on how to sink them down a touch more?
Thanks again for the help,
John
Old 06-23-2009, 10:33 AM   #7
the Musigician

Composite Deck Screws

i still do not understand how they're stripping the PT unless you're hitting concrete underneath or perhaps metal?
if that's the case, use shorter screws?

DM
Old 06-23-2009, 10:39 AM   #8

Composite Deck Screws

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahfiki View Post
on that beautiful expensive composite decking. You spend lots of money on that sweet decking for its looks and low maintenance.
That's a joke, my PT deck is low maintenance
Composite may need to be properly cleaned 2x a year
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:44 AM   #9

Composite Deck Screws

Hi Dangermouse,
I don't fully understand either, but there isn't an obstruction in the path of the screw ( the drill didn't hit anyting ), the screw starts in fine and then right at the end it stops driving and just spins. I'm stumped
Old 06-23-2009, 10:51 AM   #10
the Musigician

Composite Deck Screws

got any pics? deck and screws?
this is too weird.... if it's wood all the way, the screw will not stop.....

DM
Old 06-23-2009, 11:13 AM   #11
Umm.. U sure thats right?

Composite Deck Screws

now i understand what's going on... i thought the screw wasnt driving all the way down and the head was striping.. Danger is right you have to be hitting something....hanger clip or something... i would say move the screw, but you dont want 2 holes, i would just try to angle the srew slightly the other direction and see if it goes in smooth... again you have to be hitting some metal on concrete thats stopping the screw...
f8lyer8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:20 AM   #12

Composite Deck Screws

Here is a picture of the screw (except mine have a torx head). I'm using a 2x6 joist and a 2-1/2" screw. I don't think there can be anything under the screw to stop it. I'll try and take a picture of one of the problem screws tonight. Thanks again
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2009, 11:23 AM   #13
Newbie Bill

Composite Deck Screws

Is it possible that by predrilling the holes in the PT joists, the screw doesn't have enough PT wood to bite on and just strips the wood and then spins freely in the hole?

I would try a couple where you only predrill through the composite and not the PT joists. See if the screw can bite into the PT lumber and tighten up.

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:31 AM   #14

Composite Deck Screws

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtbk4ever View Post
Is it possible that by predrilling the holes in the PT joists, the screw doesn't have enough PT wood to bite on and just strips the wood and then spins freely in the hole?

I would try a couple where you only predrill through the composite and not the PT joists. See if the screw can bite into the PT lumber and tighten up.
I'm with Bill. What does the manufacturer recommend?
Old 06-23-2009, 11:36 AM   #15
the Musigician

Composite Deck Screws

if there is no plate underneath, i think ol' bill hit the nail right on the head... or the screw, as it were.

DM