Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2011, 09:54 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Compare kitchen cabinet quality

Hi, everyone,

I am trying to decide which brand of kitchen cabinets is best. I have narrowed down to three: Brookehaven, Candlelight and Decora. I don't know the diffrence in terms of quality and I can't get a clear answer from any of the sellers. I like all three, but I don''t know which has a better finish and last longer.

Because this is a major and very expansive purchase, I would really appreciate your expert opinion.

Thanks a lot,

Isabel

Isabelbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:03 AM   #2

THose sound more like cabinet styles than manufacturers' names.
You need to understand the differences in construction of the cabinets: what are the backs and sides made from? thickness? how are joints made, i.e., butt joint, lap joints, dovetailed,...? drawer construction joints? drawer hardware: full-extension slides, soft-closing? front materials and finish?

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:13 AM   #3

Thank you, Bob, for your reply. These are not styles. They are brands, although they could very well be made by the same manufacturing enterprise. They differ in price even when you have the same layout, similar door style and stain, similar boxes (either plywood or particleboard), dovetail drawers, same amenities (types of shelves, rollouts, full depth reach and so on...) I just don't know why the prices vary so much. I am told it is because of quality, but I don't see much of a difference. Of course, I am sure an experinced carpenter could, but I cannot.

Isabel
Old 03-07-2011, 06:50 PM   #4

You'll pay extra for a plywood carcass, but I prefer them to particle board. You'll want a 4 sided drawer, w/dovetailed corners. Drawer front should be adjustable, semi self closing drawers/doors are nice but not essential, hinges that open beyond 90* are good, drawer glides that don't flip flop and rattle, real wood veneer instead of melamine.
Set yourself a budget cos they'll try to upgrade you to another level with a more attractive style. There will be add-ons like fillers, side panels, toe kicks, crown moulding, and knobs.
And thats all before you get into the counter tops!
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrgins For This Useful Post:
Isabelbr (03-07-2011)
Old 03-07-2011, 07:22 PM   #5

Thank you much for advise. Would you know which of the two is better Brookhaven (which is marketed by Wood Mode, but is less expansive than their Wood Mode line) or Candlelight?

Thanks
Isabel
Old 03-07-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
Cabinet maker

Have you considered hiring a local cabinetmaker?
If quality is your priority, the right shop will give you the best value.
Augie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabelbr View Post
Thank you much for advise. Would you know which of the two is better Brookhaven (which is marketed by Wood Mode, but is less expansive than their Wood Mode line) or Candlelight?

Thanks
Isabel
I haven't installed either in a while, but I have installed Decora which was ok.
These brands all have a good, better, best line of cabinets. Do you have kids or teenagers? Will they (the cabinets!) be getting treated roughly?

mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote