Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2008, 01:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Question

column room divider

looking for ideas/examples.have approx.12' opening with 12" header between two rooms. thinking of 4' halfwall/bookcase coming in from each side with column between halfwall and header. doesn't have to be structural. also stairrail deadends into ceiling. any ideas? pics. would be great. I have added a picture to the album of what I'm talking about. thanks

Last edited by skeeter 152; 11-18-2008 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Added a note about a picture
skeeter 152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:06 PM   #2

column room divider

If I understand correctly, you're talking about a colonnade. See this example at a Chicago salvage place:

http://www.urbanremainschicago.com/i...px?itemID=1675

We had something like this at our previous home, a 1913's vintage American Foursquare between the living room and dining room. Ours didn't include bookcases. Instead, there were lower, boxed in areas with square columns above. We bought a salvaged colonnade with the thoughts of adding it to the family room we always planned to build. Instead we moved! So, I have the two bookcases from that set in my office and the columns are overhead in our barn.

The craftsman style would be fairly simple to build, no turning or carvings. Try Googling for "colonnade room divider" -- that's how I found the example above.

Tim

timp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:14 PM   #3

column room divider

thanks tim
Old 11-18-2008, 05:26 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

column room divider

You could also pretty easily frame out a knee wall and trim it out with oak if you are going for the craftsman look. Once side could be painted and textured drywall to match the room and the other side either bookcases or glass front cabinets.

Another idea would be to purchase some unfinished or finished upper kitchen cabinets which are 12" or so deep. You could mount them to the floor and put a wood top on them then run a spindle from the cabinet top to the ceiling.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:34 PM   #5

column room divider

yes i have alot of ideas in my head.would like to see some pics.its for my sister in law thanks