Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2010, 10:40 AM   #1

Share |

Coffered Ceilings

Hey folks,

I just joined the DIY Chatroom because i came across a few postings online and it seemed like you all had a good sense of what you were talking about.

The long and short is that I was looking for some help with coffered ceilings. I've never done this and while it seems straightforward, there seem to be a number of ways you can go about...U-shaped frames...or just installing 2x4s with a 1" top and some kind of molding on the sides.

The room I am working with is probably about 17x17. I'd say the height is about 9-10ft. Any thoughts you can offer about how best to go about this project so I can avoid some first timer pitfalls. Also, I was thinking of filling the spaces with MDF or something similar so that I don't have to drywall or plaster in the future. (The existing ceiling is plaster by the way and there is a ceiling fan in the middle)

Thanks for any feedback!

Belmullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:47 AM   #2

Coffered Ceilings

I highly recommend doing the "u-shaped" box method. This was the first time I had tried it, and won't be going back to any other method :

Coffered ceiling

The inside of the coffers are existing sheetrock in the above situation.

J

Jay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:15 PM   #3

Coffered Ceilings

here some semples
Attached Thumbnails
Coffered Ceilings-dsc01525.jpg   Coffered Ceilings-dsc01534.jpg   Coffered Ceilings-dsc00648.jpg   Coffered Ceilings-dsc00631.jpg  
01stairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:18 PM   #4

Coffered Ceilings

Nice stuff Ya got any more pics of how you do your frame work for the op?
Old 03-12-2010, 04:13 PM   #5

Coffered Ceilings

WOW...nice work !!

I can't show these pics to the wife until I'm ready to do finish work
I'll probably do sheetrock for now & add the coffers later
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:16 PM   #6

Coffered Ceilings

chicken
Old 03-12-2010, 04:18 PM   #7

Coffered Ceilings

And to the op, if you don't have access to a cad/design program, definitely work everything out on graph paper first, and probably a few times.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:41 PM   #8

Coffered Ceilings

sorry this is all i got for framing is just scrap in some areas and 2x6 in most of the area
Attached Thumbnails
Coffered Ceilings-dsc01535.jpg   Coffered Ceilings-dsc01536.jpg   Coffered Ceilings-dsc01537.jpg  
01stairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #9

Coffered Ceilings

No problem, great looking work.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:28 PM   #10

Coffered Ceilings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay123 View Post
chicken
Yup...a little
Need to pay off the general construction costs before I get into fancy stuff
Plu$ the wife want$ a new kitchen....$igh
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:29 PM   #11
remodeling pro

Coffered Ceilings

First, look at the pics from stairguy, and you will realize that the depth of the beams need to be more than just a 2x nailer with a cap board, usually 4 to 6" leaves a nice reveal on the depth of the beam after installing crown or bed inside the coffer. The most critical part is planning the layout; since this has a ceiling fan, it will either need to fall in the center the beam intersections or the center of a recess. This is about pleasing the eye in relation to the room layout, so everything has to be thought of; any existing fireplaces, large prominent doors or windows, large island location if in kitchen, you get it. Don't make the mistake of getting hung up on the idea that all sections have to be identical,they just have to work with each other, and the room. And as you see in one of the pics, it looks much better to have a beam around the perimeter than not.I prefer a little different method than fabing u-shaped beams. Once you have the plan, pop chalklines on the ceiling the width of the interior dimensions of the beams. Critical that they are accurately measured for location and squareness, as this will be your working template. I then rip enough 3/4" plywood (I use birch for stability) to use for nailers on the ceiling. Apply the pieces perpendicular to the ceiling joists first, following the chalk lines and using long enough nails to reach the joists, and cutting so splices land on joists. We also come behind and send one long screw into each joist. Apply the cross pieces with construction adhesive and a 14 to 16" splice plate of the same plywood, bridging the butt joints. I then just have to build a series of square or rectangular boxes to fit snugly within the layout, this is easily and quickly done on the floor or work table, and nailed into the plywood nailers. A simple jig locates nailers to set the depth of the bottom closure around the perimeter of each frame before it is nailed up. Install the ceiling of choice within the frames and trim out with crown or bed. Sounds complicated to describe, but it is pretty simple. The work is in getting a pleasing layout.

Last edited by troubleseeker; 03-12-2010 at 05:31 PM.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:35 PM   #12
remodeling pro

Coffered Ceilings

Very nice looking work, stairguy. The attention to layout is obvious to me in lots of things in those pics.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:43 PM   #13

Coffered Ceilings

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleseeker View Post
First, look at the pics from stairguy, and you will realize that the depth of the beams need to be more than just a 2x nailer with a cap board, usually 4 to 6" leaves a nice reveal on the depth of the beam after installing crown or bed inside the coffer.

The most critical part is planning the layout; since this has a ceiling fan, it will either need to fall in the center the beam intersections or the center of a recess. This is about pleasing the eye in relation to the room layout, so everything has to be thought of; any existing fireplaces, large prominent doors or windows, large island location if in kitchen, you get it.

Don't make the mistake of getting hung up on the idea that all sections have to be identical,they just have to work with each other, and the room. And as you see in one of the pics, it looks much better to have a beam around the perimeter than not.I prefer a little different method than fabing u-shaped beams.

Once you have the plan, pop chalklines on the ceiling the width of the interior dimensions of the beams. Critical that they are accurately measured for location and squareness, as this will be your working template. I then rip enough 3/4" plywood (I use birch for stability) to use for nailers on the ceiling.

Apply the pieces perpendicular to the ceiling joists first, following the chalk lines and using long enough nails to reach the joists, and cutting so splices land on joists. We also come behind and send one long screw into each joist. Apply the cross pieces with construction adhesive and a 14 to 16" splice plate of the same plywood, bridging the butt joints.

I then just have to build a series of square or rectangular boxes to fit snugly within the layout, this is easily and quickly done on the floor or work table, and nailed into the plywood nailers. A simple jig locates nailers to set the depth of the bottom closure around the perimeter of each frame before it is nailed up.

Install the ceiling of choice within the frames and trim out with crown or bed. Sounds complicated to describe, but it is pretty simple. The work is in getting a pleasing layout.
much easier to read
Old 03-12-2010, 05:48 PM   #14

Coffered Ceilings

...or, look here http://picasaweb.google.com/jjfwoodw...eat=directlink