Coffered Ceiling Design.......... - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
Green Hat

Rewards Points: 150

Coffered Ceiling Design..........

Anyone have any experience with design software that will help me out with designing a coffered ceiling with faux beams?

I have tried multiple times to draw it out, however I am kind of stuck. There are a few areas that are small hallways and I have a bathroom to work around as well.

Basically, I am looking for something to input my dimensions in to, and it will do the rest.

Any suggestions would be awesome.

Thanks!

Advertisement

Mills314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 530

I, as well as a few others, are pretty fast with sketchup. Post up your dimensions or a scan of your hand-drawing and I'm sure someone could help you out.

Advertisement

hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
Green Hat

Rewards Points: 150

Thanks man.

Just to give you the heads up, the plan is somewhat unorthodox.

I am building the coffered ceiling design with faux beams, then plan to use a backer and crown molding at a support for ceiling material, possibly 1/2" MDF due to it being more rigid than sheetrock.

Due to the high costs of relocating mechanical aspects of my basement, I need to have removable panels.

So in a nutshell, I am building a drop ceiling from scratch.
Mills314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

In other words, reinventing a more round wheel?

How faux and of what foam the beams? And they are to be attached to what and how if this is a drop ceiling? And, if I understand you, you plan to wrap crown molding around them? Again, real or how faux foam the crown? And then if I understand, with this faux foam grid hanging by angel wings as a drop ceiling, you want to float 1/2" MDF on the system edges of things?

Could work as many of the systems already engineered for this, to a point do, but why are you starting from scratch and not implementing one of them?

You cannot float 1/2" MDF on faux foam edges lad. It will come down on some poor soul's head!

http://www.fanaticfinish.com/pages/c...ing_system.cfm

I use Sweet Home 3D (free and open source) and not Sketch up but same difference. Send the dimensions and someone on this site will help you.

I won't if you continue to think you can float a ceiling weighing what you have in mind without some sort of grid system to hold the pieces. You cannot do it with faux everything.

Last edited by user1007; 02-15-2012 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Added URL
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote