Closing Up A Few Windows - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2008, 12:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Closing up a few windows

Hey everyone..I'm out in LI, NY and one of you already helped give me some insight..Bob, you out there? Anyway, I'm going through with this community renewal program where they will be residing my house. What I'd like to do before they begin, is close up these three windows at the rear of my house. One is right in the shower. I future plan to blow this room out and put a better window somewhere else. The other two are in my Master BR. They are crappy old Andersens which stick and are dissimilar in size. This room will be resized later on (5-10 years) as well. What do I need to do as far as framing, sheathing, paper, etc. Also, a misc. thing: My sheathing is that homasote crap and the shingles are cement board (asbestos?). Can I possibly have this tested to see if it is indeed asbestos? If so, where? How much? Hey BuletBob...PM me how much you'd get to sheath this house...The Farber Farm Ranch. I'd strip all the shingles and the shakes up front. Hell, probably even the homasote. I can maybe strip that right in front of you as you go along. That program isn't starting probably for a few weeks. They need to still drop off the siding color books, etc., and they are working at our convenience. Thanks again for your last help!

Advertisement

Last edited by mudpaws; 09-28-2008 at 12:31 AM.
mudpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:15 AM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Closing up a few windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpaws View Post
Hey everyone..I'm out in LI, NY and one of you already helped give me some insight..Bob, you out there? Anyway, I'm going through with this community renewal program where they will be residing my house. What I'd like to do before they begin, is close up these three windows at the rear of my house. One is right in the shower. I future plan to blow this room out and put a better window somewhere else. The other two are in my Master BR. They are crappy old Andersens which stick and are dissimilar in size. This room will be resized later on (5-10 years) as well. What do I need to do as far as framing, sheathing, paper, etc. Also, a misc. thing: My sheathing is that homasote crap and the shingles are cement board (asbestos?). Can I possibly have this tested to see if it is indeed asbestos? If so, where? How much? Hey BuletBob...PM me how much you'd get to sheath this house...The Farber Farm Ranch. I'd strip all the shingles and the shakes up front. Hell, probably even the homasote. I can maybe strip that right in front of you as you go along. That program isn't starting probably for a few weeks. They need to still drop off the siding color books, etc., and they are working at our convenience. Thanks again for your last help!
Hello Mudpaws
closing up the windows is not that big of a deal. BUT!! there are some code requirements to deal with. Removing the window in the shower is one, most likely is the only one. if so you will then need to install a bath room exhaust fan vented to the outside.
second how many window do you have in the master bedroom now.is there any Egress windows there now. if not, now will be the time to install one in each room. CODE!. also by code ( not to many people know this) there is a ratio to determine what size window to install in each room. Here I believe the minimun is 8% Daylight and 5% ventilation/egress. So if the room is 10x10=100sf then you would need a window with a minimum of 8 square feet of glass and 5 square feet of natural ventilation when the window is opened. plus you must remember the egress opening. Do you meet these requirements.
I have had many people ask me to install windows in there home with out meeting the egress code, I will not do it, god forbid there is a fire and they can not get out, I don't want to live with that. BOB

Advertisement

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:12 PM   #3

Closing up a few windows

Thanks Bob. There are now 2 windows in the master. The master br is 12x18. The two windows (the old Andersens) are diferent sizes and different heights off the floor. Thankfully they aren't on the same wall! The one facing the patio measures 53 3/8" L (or Height) by 31 7/8" W. Opening of window is 32" off the floor. The other one, facing the back wall measures 45 1/4" L (H) by 36 1/8" W. Opening is 28" off the floor. I think I will close the patio one and put two new ones on the back wall. With both of the existing I do believe I meet the requirements. OK- so how do I proceed to close the existing and start new ones? A sidebar: The previous owner decided to close the sliding glass door opening and an oblong window at the back wall of the bedroom- I can see the outline i the sheetrock and feel the "bump". What the hell did they do and how do I fix it?
Old 09-30-2008, 10:22 PM   #4

Closing up a few windows

Are you going to remove all the sheetrock on the wall your going to install the new windows??. And also the ones your going to close up??
Old 09-30-2008, 10:54 PM   #5

Closing up a few windows

Yes, I s'pose I can or I will. It's my master BR, that's the only thing that sucks. I really would like to make as little mess as possible.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:02 AM   #6

Closing up a few windows

if your planing to remove the exterior homeosote sheathing with plywood, then you could frame it from the exterior side. would that be more feasible for you? BOB
Old 10-01-2008, 08:03 PM   #7

Closing up a few windows

that may actually be easiest. That way I don't have to wreck the bedroom so badly. Any tips on how to do this, from either side?
Old 10-01-2008, 11:02 PM   #8

Closing up a few windows

1st floor? or 2nd floor?
remove the homesote sheathing to expose the framing. This is where your new Cats paw will come in. Did You find one? once the framing is exposed to the top plate, Mark out the rough opening of your window on the top plate, then add 3-1/8" to both sides of the mark, these will be for your jacks. And now mark out an additional 1-1/2" for your studs.
measure you existing wall studs ( usually 92-5/8" ) cut and install one 2x4 on each stud mark you just finished marking. make sure to plumb the 2x4 when nailing the bottoms, Oh! before I forget you must remove any wires that could be drilled through the studs under the new window location.
measure down about 30" from the top plate and mark all the studs that fall between the new opening.cut with a saw zal and remove from the top plate. next measure the inside dimension of the 2x4's you just install ( measure at the top plate) this is the size of your header. cut your header to this dimension, I like installing 2x12 headers tight to the bottom of the top plates. measure the width of your header and deduct it from the length of your wall studs. this is the length of your jack studs / the 2x4's that are going to support the header. install your header and jack studs. now measure down the rough opening height of the window and add 1-1/2" do this on both sides mark across any studs that remain and cut at this line then cut and install a 2x4 the width of opening and install on top of your remaining 2x4's. this should be you window opening.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:44 PM   #9

Closing up a few windows

Hey Bob! First of all, thanks for everything you've helped with so far. It is on the 1st floor. I did get the cat's paw-from Sears. I have to make a list of the projects I want to do in priority order. Second, when you're not too busy (maybe after New Years?) would you be able to stop by here so you can see the house, and a few of the things I'd like to accomplish here. Feel free to give me any estimates for the work once you see it. If you could that would be cool. Have you had a nice holiday so far? Thanks and take care...

Ralph

Advertisement

Last edited by mudpaws; 12-29-2010 at 03:46 PM.