Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2011, 08:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Clapboard siding

I am redoing an old garage, I am uncertain of the era. The house was built in 1928, and the garage probably was added a bit later.

It is a cross between a carriage house and a modern garage. It is covered in real wood siding that looks like clapboard.

The paint is in terrible condition, many coats, thick and peeling everywhere.

The garage is built into a grade change, that being said, the back and south side are built on a foundation, the front and north side are on a slab.

The two sides not on a block foundation show very definite rot on the boards that are nearest the ground, the other sides do not.

I took the bottom boards off of a section and the clapboard which I thought was individual pieces, are actually one piece. So, one board actually looks like two. Hopefully that makes sense. It is as though you took a 1x8 and machined it to look like two pieces of clapboard.

I was originally going to reside it, but I am uncertain if I can maintain the vintage look with a new product, unless I go very high end, which I think will be expensive.

I need advice:

1. Is there any way to match this siding so that I can replace the bottom boards?

2. How would I stop the seemingly certain rot on the replaced boards if I am able to replace them.

3. The garage is 20' x 20', am I just foolish to try to strip it and repaint it? I consider this option, because I am really opposed to the look of vinyl and it is a feature in the backyard garden setting.

Help!

Edit (here is a photo showing the type of siding, just imagine everywhere you think you are looking at two horizontal boards, you are actually seeing one"

Last edited by oldhouseguy; 09-14-2011 at 08:43 AM.
oldhouseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:46 AM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,270

Clapboard siding

Quote:
1. Is there any way to match this siding so that I can replace the bottom boards?
Pictures please. How to attach a photo to a post

Quote:
2. How would I stop the seemingly certain rot on the replaced boards if I am able to replace them.
You can't unless you get the wall off the ground.

Quote:
3. The garage is 20' x 20', am I just foolish to try to strip it and repaint it?
If restoration is the goal that’s what I’d do.

The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
Marbledust (09-14-2011)
Old 09-14-2011, 08:50 AM   #3
Mod

Clapboard siding

Yes, you can match that siding. Just because the existing is a double profile that doesn’t mean the replacement has to be to match the look.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
oldhouseguy (09-14-2011)
Old 09-14-2011, 08:52 AM   #4

Clapboard siding

I just posted a picture in my edit.

Here is another closer up.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:54 AM   #5

Clapboard siding

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Yes, you can match that siding. Just because the existing is a double profile that doesn’t mean the replacement has to be to match the look.
So, you are suggesting to use two pieces to build up to that look?

interesting idea... to take it a bit further, the back side of the wood has no finish.

I have always heard that not sealing the back side is what leads to paint failure... if I strip and repaint, aren't I just asking for the paint to bubble again?

Not to keep sounding like an idiot, but where would I even look for the individual pieces if I can not get the double profile? Is it widely available and does this look pretty common in shape?
Old 09-14-2011, 08:56 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Clapboard siding

looks to be savable....on the side with no foundation,remove 2 rows of siding form the lower section with plywood and pour a concrete base.
use a heat gun and scraper to remove peeling paint
Marbledust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:07 AM   #7
Mod

Clapboard siding

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhouseguy View Post
So, you are suggesting to use two pieces to build up to that look?

interesting idea... to take it a bit further, the back side of the wood has no finish.

I have always heard that not sealing the back side is what leads to paint failure... if I strip and repaint, aren't I just asking for the paint to bubble again?

Not to keep sounding like an idiot, but where would I even look for the individual pieces if I can not get the double profile? Is it widely available and does this look pretty common in shape?
Take a sample of the siding to your local lumber yard (not a box store) and they'll hook you up whether it’s one piece or two.

You can certainly prime and paint the back side of the replacement. The key to a long lasting paint job is all in the details. Prep, the correct primer and quality paint. Do a search in the painting section of this site there’s plenty of info there.