Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Choosing materials for outdoor shower surround

We live in Maryland. I am thinking about installing an outdoor shower for my husband (not because I don't want him in the house, but because he LOVED the outdoor shower in the Outer Banks, and he is a runner and showers twice a day). I realize I will have to drain pipes and shut off supply water each winter. How about cedar tongue and groove paneling for the surround walls? Any other ideas? Emphasis on durability and economy, please, but it also has to be somewhat aesthetically pleasing, not something you would find in the back hills of Hootersville. Thanx!

Last edited by suegee1950; 05-12-2012 at 11:05 AM.
suegee1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:24 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

Concider soild vinyl fence panels.
There never going to rot or need resealing.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
The Fence Guy

Agreed! Vinyl is the way to go; it lasts longer than wood, and won't warp with all the water. Just hose it down to clean.
TheFenceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #4
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,124

I wouldn't use tongue and groove. The amount of swelling from the all that moisture makes that seem like a bad idea. Better to use overlapping boards, some on the inside, some overlapping the gap, on the outside. This way there's no tight boards, the overlap gives some privacy and there's room for airflow to help it dry out. Just be sure to seal the heck out of the boards (all sides and ends) and be prepared to keep up on their treatment every year. I wouldn't like the look or cheesy hollow sound of water hitting vinyl fence panels.

Not sure how readily you can get a permit for an outdoor shower. We're all in the chesapeake bay watershed and adding bathing water directly to the soil or storm drain systems is probably something to avoid.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #5

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
I wouldn't use tongue and groove. The amount of swelling from the all that moisture makes that seem like a bad idea. Better to use overlapping boards, some on the inside, some overlapping the gap, on the outside. This way there's no tight boards, the overlap gives some privacy and there's room for airflow to help it dry out. Just be sure to seal the heck out of the boards (all sides and ends) and be prepared to keep up on their treatment every year. I wouldn't like the look or cheesy hollow sound of water hitting vinyl fence panels.

Not sure how readily you can get a permit for an outdoor shower. We're all in the chesapeake bay watershed and adding bathing water directly to the soil or storm drain systems is probably something to avoid.
This is GREAT advice. Thank you so much. As far as the drain, I am now hoping we can tap through the wall where directly opposite the proposed shower is my waste drain, hot water heater and washer and dryer, so all the pipes are right there. This may be cost-prohibitive for us, but we'll get some estimates. Thanks again for your wise and informative response.
suegee1950 is offline   Reply With Quote