Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2007, 11:29 AM   #1

Share |

Cheapest place for replacement door hinges (interior)

Hi all,

Remodeling our entire house, replacing everything that was in 1970's gold with silver stuff (nickel sinks, nickel cabinet pulls and door knobs, etc). Last step is to replace the hinges on all seven doors in the house. 21 hinges total. Just looking for a cheap place to buy the hinges and NOT pay $5 each if I can help it. Any little online places that unload these things on the cheap? I've saved myself thousands buying online and on-sale stuff, don't want to stop now!

Proulx06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 12:57 PM   #2

I had the same problem in my kitchen with my cabinets and landed up using auto spray primer and paint in chrome for my hinges. Haven't done any full door ones yet but it was about ten dollars and I have lots of paint left over.

Concordseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:06 PM   #3

Yeah, I've completely ignored the cabinet hinges for the time being. We're doing all of this work in preparation for a large party we're having next weekend, and the cabinet hinges fall under the category of "not gonna have enough time to finish", haha. So as of right now, they're black with nickel door pulls.

But the door hinges are a half hour job to replace vs a few hours/days for the paint to dry and whatnot. I agree that the prices on these things seems rather excessive, especially for cabinet doors. I'm hoping I'll stumble onto a bunch of used cabinet hinges or something, but we'll see I may just have to suck it up for the doors at Lowes/HD.
Proulx06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 03:12 PM   #4
zel

Send a message via AIM to zel

Can you replace all the door hinges easily, without having to adjust the doors? Previous owner painted over all ours and I'd love to just replace them with new ones.
zel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 03:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zel View Post
Can you replace all the door hinges easily, without having to adjust the doors? Previous owner painted over all ours and I'd love to just replace them with new ones.
Usually, yes. Run a utility knife around the edge of the old hinge so you don't ruin the paint.

As far as cheap replacements? Your best bet would be Home Depot or Lowes. Any online supplier would have to ship which would most likely offset the cost anyway.
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:02 PM   #6

Agreed, you can find nice hinges in a silver color for less then $2 at home depot. I've bought many for doors in my house.
msajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 04:17 AM   #7

You should try your local hardware store, you would be suprise what you find there.

rk_king2004 is offline   Reply With Quote