Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2008, 06:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

changing a door

i put a new door in an existing frame (not prehung). i put the old door on its side and put the new one next to it, drew lines exactly where the hinges should be. then i chistled out the new door and put the hinges in. the hinges didnt line up with the ones in the jamb. i messed with them for a little and got it to fit. but now the bottom of the door hits the stop before the top. when the bottom hits the top is about 1/2" away. what should i do?

drewhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 07:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

changing a door

drew,

First of all I'm not a carpenter by trade but have replaced several doors. When the old door was in place did it sit the same way as your new one? If so, possibly the stop towards the bottom of the door was moved to keep the door tightly closed when shut. It's done that way to keep it from rattling when shut. Otherwise the new door is slightly warped. If this is an interior door I'd leave it as is. I'm sure others with more knowledge could give you more tips.

Best of luck with the door, rredogg

rredogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 07:18 PM   #3

changing a door

i'm not sure if the old door was like this or not. it was very crappy and boarded up. i never looked. its an exterior door. there is no stop on the bottom. the side stop is where is hits at the bottom and is about 1/2'' away from the top of the side stop and the top stop.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:24 PM   #4

changing a door

i suppose i could change the angle of the side stop. the only thing is i nailed the jamb flush with the rough in. like original. (oh yeah i forgot to mention that i pulled the old jamb out on the handle side and replaced it because if was broken) its slightly out of plumb. but the door is more out of plumb in the other direction. if i changed the angle of the side stop it would create an uneven reveal with the jamb. so i guess i could cut all the nails and renail the jamb and the stop. but i would rather adjust the hinges. is there a technique?
Old 11-20-2008, 08:58 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

changing a door

Drew,

Stay away from the hinge side if you can. Most likely you'll throw the whole door out of wack. It may be a good idea to consider replacing the entire door and jamb. It's not that expensive. Here's some good reading for you:

http://www.jlconline.com/cgi-local/v...170a32100a05fc

Do a further search on this site for additional helpful information.

Regards, rredogg
rredogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:13 AM   #6

changing a door

well i had to mess with hinge side in order to put the hinges on! its just a matter of getting them right. i think i am going to adjust the bottom and top one first until the door hangs right. then ill put the middle one on while the door is hanging.