Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2009, 02:43 PM   #1

Share |

changing a built in table

Aloha everyone,

I've just joined this forum as I need some help with problem

I built a table in a restaurant 3 years ago and now they want me to make it convertible so they can make the area usable as a music stage. They are OK with me cutting it just above the steel foot bar. I've racked my brain for a week, looked for hardware for hours on the Internet.....but I can't find something sturdy enough. The three legs (4x4 posts) have a slight curve to them which will certainly help retain some strength.

Anyone out there have a good idea.....or know where I can find the hardware that will suit my needs.

Mahalo (thanks) from Hawaii

Grant

Last edited by kiltboy; 02-02-2009 at 02:52 PM. Reason: more info
kiltboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:46 PM   #2

Help me out with understanding this a little...
Are they wanting you to lower the table as it sits now, or make it removable? If removable, I'd think that foot bar would be an awful trip hazard (liability) for them.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:54 PM   #3

They want it to be removable.....at least mostly so they can use the area as a stage on the nights they play music, so there will not be a trip hazard.....for the most part.
I could make it remove from floor level but I still have no idea how to make it solid yet removable.

Mahalo
G
Old 02-02-2009, 11:28 PM   #4

It appears that the posts are solid, right? You could drill down into the bottom part of the posts about 12" for a corresponding piece of 1" iron pipe, and epoxy the piece of pipe 12" into each of the upper part of the legs. The pipes would act like mortises to hold the table securely in place until they lifted the table from both sides at the same time.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:47 AM   #5

The set up is very stout, I thought about that set up as one of my first ideas....I just wasn't sure if it'd be the best idea. It is as far as I can tell one of the most solid ideas, but maybe something else will come up.

Any more ideas ?

G
Old 02-03-2009, 05:21 AM   #6
Remodeling Contractor

If you can remove the floor brackets you can modify them. Add lead anchors into the floor to support the brackets. Now drill holes through the brackets to bolt into the lead shields. When you need to remove them, unbolt and nothing is on the floor to trip over.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:26 AM   #7

1" Schedule 40 (1.660" OD) and 1" Schedule 10 pipe (1.683" ID) will telescope. You could epoxy a length of 1"-10 into the floor and a length of 1"-40 into the existing post. You could leave the 1"-10 slightly below the surface and install a covering over the pipe when the table is removed.

The drawback to this is you are relying on gravity to hold the table in place, and I do not know if it will be strong enough to resist lateral loads.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:55 AM   #8
the Musigician

i wonder if you went one step further with KC's idea and cut it twice?
remove the center pieces and drop it down and make a short table.
just an idea....i know our band could have used a short table in front to put our equipment on a couple places we played in. good spot for speakers too. heh

DM
Attached Thumbnails
changing a built in table-0000004.jpg