Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2008, 08:41 PM   #1

Share |

Changing Alligator Barn into house

YeP, that's right. I need some advice on the roof trusses. I have a 30 wide by 35 long bldg.
I would like to go with an open ceiling/truss system. Kinda going for the cottage look.
I was wondering if I could go with open trusses on half of it and the other half be attic trusses , so I could have a loft? And what price difference there would be compared to just regular 30' trusses? Any takers?

Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:34 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Ayuh,.......

You'll probably need the in-put from an Engineer to determine whether the Walls will support what you're looking to Do.......

Maybe you could tell us More about how well built this Gator Barn is built.......

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:30 AM   #3
Woodworker and Contractor

Have you talked to the build department in your area, FL I assume? Lots of code issuses going from a barn to a home. The cost for the more open and loft truss is not that much, maybe $1000 more, and easly worth it for the added living space.
Kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:31 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice. I'm in Louisiana. This Alligator barn was turned into a pole barn about 10 years ago. So it's pretty much a 30 x 35 pole barn. The only problem is the floor. It is cement that slopes down from the middle about 8 inches on both sides to drains. I'm going to have to put in some sleepers to make the floor even , or cement the rest of it in to make it even. Anyone know which would be cheaper? Also I had a contractor come out and he said the 2x4 walls that are up right now are ok to use. The roof will have to come off and trusses put up. Also a problem might be the plumbing. It does have drains with pvc about 5 inches in diameter, is there anything I could use those for? Just curious. We'll probly have to crack the cement to get in some plumbing. Thanks guys, this is going to be a very interesting project since I am going to try to stay under 30 grand .
Old 01-05-2008, 08:48 AM   #5
Woodworker and Contractor

really surprised that you can do that. After Hugo rolled throught my small home town the Fema rules became The Words of God. It was impossiable to do anything. How close to the coast wind zone wise and what Flood are you in. Both of these will affect how you have to upgrade the roof to might the code. Sleepers are cheaper but the concrete is a faster solid fix and you can run some rebar through the poles as a secondary foundation because I doubt they did the fist time. Still really don't see how they are letting you do this?
Kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:26 PM   #6

We live in northern Lousiana so no problem with wind etc. As far as the building codes, I called and they said that since it is a preexisting bldg. I don't need a permit. It is real lax here on permits etc.... I actually know a man who built a new house with no bldg permit what so ever. It doesnt look that good but he did it. Shocked me that he could do that. I never even thought about the rebar in the slab. I actually know the guy who built it, I might give him a call and ask if they put any in it.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:26 PM   #7

Is this with or without the alligators still in there??

How are you planning to keep all the rodents and insects out of this 'structure'??

IF the roof AND floor isnt going to stay,,,what are you gaining from this vs NEW construction?? I obviously DONT understand!!

Is their ANY mold or bacteria that needs removed with aminals formerly in there??

justdon is offline   Reply With Quote