Chair Rail & Wall Moldings - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2008, 07:21 PM   #1
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 36
Rewards Points: 25

Chair Rail & Wall Moldings

What is the standard height, if there is such a thing, for installing chair rail? I would also like to know what type (name) of the best molding to use to design the decorative wall frame moldings. The types you see in the expensive homes that usually form large and small retangular frames.


joe3534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:53 PM   #2
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 101
Rewards Points: 75

To determine the height of your chair rail, measure the height of the ceiling and divide it by three. The general rule is that the chair rail should be about 1/3 of the way up from the floor (between 32" and 36" for an 8' ceiling). You can also slide a chair up to the wall and mark where it will hit on the wall.

As far as wainscot type molding, visit your local lumber store and look at their selections. You can use a regular panel molding, you can use chair rail there, too, or I've used shelf edge molding a few times. As long as it lays flat on the wall, you can pretty much use anything you like.


Jeeper1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:43 AM   #3
buletbob's Avatar
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,543
Rewards Points: 1,000

I agree with Jeeper, this is what I was told many years ago as far as the height of the chair rail. As far as the wall molding, most of the times the 1-5/8" base cap is what the designers have picked. but it all depends on your taste. BOB.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 04:41 PM   #4
Drywall contractor
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lilburn, GA
Posts: 2,129
Rewards Points: 1,070

Just one other thought on chair height.... if you're using a wianscot below, you get three 32" pieces out of an 8' sheet of panel goods. If you go 36", you waste 2' of material. I think the "decorative wall frames" you're asking about is what are called "shadow boxes" in this area. May have other names in other areas. Picture mold is commonly used to "frame" them.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier. Support our troops.
bjbatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Raising Doorway Height (load bearing?) treefrog Building & Construction 6 02-25-2008 09:11 PM
Marrying a sloping stone wall to a cinder block wall. mrdol Landscaping & Lawn Care 1 11-09-2007 04:08 PM
decorative trim and chair rail. What are the rules to make it look good? Bacardi 151 Carpentry 10 10-18-2007 01:37 PM
Atlantic-need your opinion on markd's comments about my vapor barrier? yummy mummy Building & Construction 11 03-07-2007 09:47 AM
Wall lamps and chair rail alvanos Carpentry 1 04-26-2006 11:35 AM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1