Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2008, 07:21 PM   #1

Share |

Chair Rail & Wall Moldings

What is the standard height, if there is such a thing, for installing chair rail? I would also like to know what type (name) of the best molding to use to design the decorative wall frame moldings. The types you see in the expensive homes that usually form large and small retangular frames.

joe3534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:53 PM   #2

To determine the height of your chair rail, measure the height of the ceiling and divide it by three. The general rule is that the chair rail should be about 1/3 of the way up from the floor (between 32" and 36" for an 8' ceiling). You can also slide a chair up to the wall and mark where it will hit on the wall.

As far as wainscot type molding, visit your local lumber store and look at their selections. You can use a regular panel molding, you can use chair rail there, too, or I've used shelf edge molding a few times. As long as it lays flat on the wall, you can pretty much use anything you like.

Jeeper1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:43 AM   #3
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

I agree with Jeeper, this is what I was told many years ago as far as the height of the chair rail. As far as the wall molding, most of the times the 1-5/8" base cap is what the designers have picked. but it all depends on your taste. BOB.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 04:41 PM   #4
Drywall contractor

Just one other thought on chair height.... if you're using a wianscot below, you get three 32" pieces out of an 8' sheet of panel goods. If you go 36", you waste 2' of material. I think the "decorative wall frames" you're asking about is what are called "shadow boxes" in this area. May have other names in other areas. Picture mold is commonly used to "frame" them.