Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2007, 06:04 PM   #1

Share |

chair rail question?

I would like to install chair rail, then underneath box out "picture frames" spaced evenly around the room. I'm not sure of the technical term for this technique? My question is, what's the best way to nail the picture frames to the wall? I have heard some people just nail anywhere into the drywall, not necessarilly into the studs. Is this the way it's done?
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 06:31 PM   #2

chair rail question?

It would be fine to do it that way if you use some adhesive. I use a thin bead of latex painter's caulk. If you get some squeeze-out, just wipe lightly with a damp rag. I wouldn't suggest liquid nails. After you apply adhesive to your piece, hold it in place and shoot a couple of nails into drywall, preferably in different directions. Shoot one nail in at an angle and then another nail at a different angle. This will hold the piece snugly to the wall until the adhesive dries.
send_it_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 06:46 PM   #3
Custom Cabinet Maker

chair rail question?

Normal carpenters Titebond II works great also. brads or pin nails on angle hold till glue dries
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 07:30 PM   #4

chair rail question?

thanks for the quick response guys. I wasn't sure if that was the right way, or the home-owner special way.
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 07:34 PM   #5

chair rail question?

I'd figure out what size I wanted the frames to be, then assemble them in the shop, gluing the miters with wood glue and toenailing the corners. Then put the frames on the wall as one piece in the spots you have located. Just put them up level. Depending on how big they are, you'll be able to shoot them to the existing studs which will hold them in place. Dots of adhesive (PL200 or similar) on the other areas will hold them there. Crossnailing into the drywall as necessary if you need to.
XSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote