Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2010, 09:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

chair rail installation

I want to install a chair rail going up the wall of my stair case, but don't know how to connect the straight chair rail to the angled piece going up the stairs. The angled piece is naturally longer than the end of the straight piece. How do I make then match? Thanks.

gailf777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:49 AM   #2

chair rail installation

How do you connect straight chair rail to angled chair rail that is not a 45 degree angle, For example: chair rail on a stair case wall,

Old 02-03-2010, 10:36 AM   #3
Love for Construction

chair rail installation

You need to find the angle of the staircase.

For instance say your staircase angle is 40*, you would then cut the end of the chair rail that runs parallel to the floor at 20*, and then you would cut the chair rail that will head up your staircase at 20*, so when you mate the two angles together, the cut end of the pieces are the same length and the angles add up to 40* which is the angle of the theoretical staircase we are talking about.

Hope this helps.

A graphical example of what I'm talking about is below, you can see when you put the two angles together you will get the sum of the two angles.

________\_________/______________
<*(((>< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:46 AM   #4

chair rail installation

How do I figure the angle of the stair case to make the correct cuts for the chair rail moulding?
Old 02-03-2010, 11:01 AM   #5

chair rail installation

lay a stick on the stair treads and another one on the floor. The angle is the same (or should be) as the chair rail.
trace the line on a piece of cardboard.
bisect the angle to determine the cut angle as above
cut one half of that angle on each piece as a test fit
check and adjust as required
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:09 AM   #6
Love for Construction

chair rail installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailf777 View Post
How do I figure the angle of the stair case to make the correct cuts for the chair rail moulding?
Do you have a skirt board on your staircase? A skirt board is a board that separates your stair tread (what you step on) from the verticle wall on each side of the staircase?

To find the angle, you will need the following:

1) 2 foot, or bigger level
2) Angle Finder
3) Pencil

What you need to do is take the level and mark a level line horizontally from the skirt board with a pencil. Then you will take your angle finder and place one side on the horizontal pencil line and the other side you will rotate it until it comes in contact with the skirt board. This will give you, your angle of the staircase.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:14 AM   #7

chair rail installation

Thank you so much for your help. It worked!!!
Old 02-03-2010, 11:18 AM   #8
Love for Construction

chair rail installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
lay a stick on the stair treads and another one on the floor. The angle is the same (or should be) as the chair rail.
trace the line on a piece of cardboard.
bisect the angle to determine the cut angle as above
cut one half of that angle on each piece as a test fit
check and adjust as required
This will work too, and is probably simpler for you than my convoluted answer. Just be sure to check angles on scraps before cutting the actual pieces, your pocket book will thank you (as was said by jlhaslip), nothing like cutting expensive trim until you get it right.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:41 PM   #9
remodeling pro

chair rail installation

I prefer the no brainer method. Lightly pop a chalk line (NO RED CHALK) up the wall and around the landing to represent the bottom of the chair rail; you will need this anyway for a straight installation.
Now hold a piece of the rail so that it projects past the angle location and lightly trace the top with a pencil; do the same for the other abutting piece. Just connect the points on the top and bottom lines and that is the angle. Either transfer it to your miter saw with a bevel square or cut a piece of scrape to it. If the wall is finish painted, runs a few rows of blue painters tape to draw the pencil lines on.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:25 PM   #10

chair rail installation

Ditto Trouble seeker,
That's how I do it.
Mike Hawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleseeker View Post
I prefer the no brainer method. Lightly pop a chalk line (NO RED CHALK) up the wall and around the landing to represent the bottom of the chair rail; you will need this anyway for a straight installation.
Now hold a piece of the rail so that it projects past the angle location and lightly trace the top with a pencil; do the same for the other abutting piece. Just connect the points on the top and bottom lines and that is the angle. Either transfer it to your miter saw with a bevel square or cut a piece of scrape to it. If the wall is finish painted, runs a few rows of blue painters tape to draw the pencil lines on.

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote