Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2014, 10:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Chair Rail Height into Window

I am doing a basic redo of our spare bedroom into our new nursery for our daughter coming in August. My wife requested a chair rail to be put in to separate the pink paint (bottom) with the white (top).

Looking at the room, it's not a problem except I am stumped on what to do near the windows. As seen in the pics attached, I do not have a typical wood frame with casing type of window. Our house is real stone and the exterior walls are about a foot thick. The walls wrap into the window at about a 30 degree angle and it's all wall (plaster), no trim or casing. The window sill sits around 33-34" from the floor. The apron trim on the sill sits around 32" from the floor. The ceilings are 8ft.

I'd like to not go above 36" for the chair rail as the visual aspect will be thrown off then and you don't want to go too high with chair rail as it is a visual separator. Usually the rule is about 32"-36" for an 8ft ceiling.

If I had casing around the windows I would butt the rail into it, but I do not have that. I do not want to butt the rail into the apron trim now as they are different trims and it would look weird... Should I go just above the sill and wrap the rail into the window area and butt it up against the window itself? Should I do the same and wrap it in, but only go about 2" in from the joint and not all the way to the window? Should I stop the rail just before the joint and NOT wrap toward the window? I also have to think about the blinds that are installed as to not hit the rail if I go this route. I've always heard that is't better to go lower than higher if you are unsure with chair rail. Would it look weird if I went below the sill/apron with the chair rail?

This is my first chair rail without casing around a window. Any thoughts greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Chair Rail Height into Window-window1.jpg   Chair Rail Height into Window-window2.jpg   Chair Rail Height into Window-window3.jpg  

jgrohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:06 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

I would remove the window apron and hold the chair rail tight under the windowsill

gatewayfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:39 AM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,344

Trim is cheap enough to do a few test samples--I think the first suggestion has merit---also--if you install above the sill---try a mitered return--and stop at the edge of the window opening---see how that looks.

I do a lot of sampling when I'm not sure----
The Following User Says Thank You to oh'mike For This Useful Post:
Canarywood1 (07-02-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 08:40 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 324

Searching chair rail, I think attached photo is similar to what you want. Might as well go a little higher than what's usual and wrap around the corner. Looks like it's better to be away from window sill than closer and never under the window. Hope it helps.
Attached Images

carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carpdad For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (07-02-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 10:37 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,020

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Trim is cheap enough to do a few test samples--I think the first suggestion has merit---also--if you install above the sill---try a mitered return--and stop at the edge of the window opening---see how that looks.

I do a lot of sampling when I'm not sure----

+ 1 to what oh'mike says.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canarywood1 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (07-02-2014)
Old 07-04-2014, 11:46 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

It was so beautiful, and you can also try it out.
billkitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:32 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 25

Thanks guys for the second set of eyes. I laid out a few options with small pieces of rail and ended up replacing the apron and running it straight through. Looks very good and at a height I'm very happy with.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Chair Rail Height into Window-20140705_144159.jpg  

jgrohol is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chair, chair rail, height, rail, window