Chair Rail Angle Cuts...any Tips? - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2008, 02:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Chair rail angle cuts...any tips?

Hey all, my first post here. AND my first ? is this..
I want to hang/install chair rail in my town home. Here's the hard part. My stairwell runs up 3 floors to all of the bedrooms, and i only want to run it on the right side going all the way up, continuously. I want it at around 48" high or so, ALL THE WAY UP. How should I find the correct angle to cut the two ends, where the chair rail heads up, parallel with the stairs?

Advertisement

jn_talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hmmmm. I'm sure there's a trick to it, but here's what I'd do.

With a helper, I'd hold the uncut chair rail at the angle of the stairs, after measuring the height perfectly and marking it on the wall. Using a bevel gauge, find the angle off of a perfectly vertical line. A short level would assist with this task, as would drawing a vertical line on the wall.

Take that angle and divide by two. Set the saw to cut the horizontal chair rail at that number, and the diagonal chair rail at that number. They should meet up.

I'd suggest trying it with a scrap of 1x material or chair rail to make sure it works for you.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

PERFECT!!! Great suggestion. I have an angle finder, just wasn't sure how to go about using it.. Thanks
jn_talbot is offline   Reply With Quote