Chain Drive On Garage Door Squeaks - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2011, 08:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Chain Drive on Garage door squeaks

I have a very noisy garage door opener. I have narrowed down where the noise is coming from. It is the pin with teeth that drives the chain located on the top of the motor. I have used the spray silicone lub made for garage doors on the chain but that did not stop the squeaks. A lite tap with a hammer on that pin stopped the noise but it started up again intermittenly. The noise is not there everytime the garage door is opened or closed.

Any Help?????? Thanks

Advertisement

m1951mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:56 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

You may be missing a bushing. There is sometimes a plastic (or other material) piece that sits between the moving and stationary parts. You may try some grease, not the spary kind, the thick goo kind. It may only be a temporary fix though, if you are indeed missing a bushing. You may have to take the sprocket off to get the grease in there good.

Advertisement

AGWhitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:14 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

I would not know where to start to remove the sprocket. Since the chain goes on it with some tension, I am a bit afraid that I could make matters worse, like a door that does not work at all!!!!
m1951mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:42 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

The chain has a tensioner located where the garage door attaches. If you loosen that the chain loosens and you can take it off. To put it back, you replace the chain on the sprocket and then tighten the tensioner. If this sounds too daring then you might want to call your favorite "handy man" and ask them to take a look.
AGWhitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote