Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-17-2008, 05:02 AM   #1

Share |

center hinged to french doors

i have a center hinged style door. (2 doors side by side but only 1 opens) before i start ripping and tearing, is it possible to hinge the stationary door so both of my doors are able to open like a set of french doors? or is the stationary door part of the hole frame? any help is appreciated.

oneroom42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:27 AM   #2
Man of many hats

It is possible, but not at all easy. It would require removing the entire unit, removing the screws that are holding the stationary slab in place, and then basically, rebuilding the unit. It would be MUCH easier to replace the unit with a traditional french door. Unless you have alot more time than money, good skills at carpentry and hanging doors, I'd check into the prices of a new door.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:41 AM   #3

Besides what the above poster stated, you would have to come up with a way to keep it closed.. Either with a rollerlatch setup or a flushbolt. Flushbolts arent the easiest thing to motise with hand tools.
RTRCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:07 PM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Reconfiguring the stationary panel to become a swinging idle door involves a number of things. First you need to free it from the jamb. Then hinge it. Then add some hardware to keep it closed and latched, surface or flush bolts. You'd need to add some sort of weatherstripping around it. Then you have to deal with the live door. Reverse the swing, meaning moving the hinges to the opposite side side of the door. Closing up the holes for the latching hardware and redrilling them on the new latch side of the door, assuming the stile is wide enough to accomodate the hardware. Then you'll need to remove the center mullion that was carrying the hinges and close up the holes where it was mounted. Assuming you now have two swinging panels, you now need to fabricate an astragal of some sort and attach it to the idle door to fill the gap between the two doors and allow a place for the live door to latch into. That gap will be fairly significant. After all of this, you still need to address the threshold. All in all, you'll have a pieced together door set that will probably not perform very well as far as weather resistance or day to day operation. I'd forego this project and replace the unit with one made to work the way you want.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote