Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2011, 10:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Smile

Ceiling work

I didn't know which section to put this in...sorry.

I have popcorn ceilings and am trying to come up with the most inexpensive AND easiest to do myself 'fix'. Here is my crazy idea. Instead of buying the ceiling tiles (yes in the long run it would be too expensive for me, because we are already doing so much and have quite a lot of money 'out there'), would it work (or make any sense at all) to buy 4x8 1/4" paneling...have it cut into 12x12 pieces...glue on pieces of the faux tin ceiling wallpaper (I've worked with it so am comfortable with that part)...then paint...THEN use a good adhesive to 'place' these 'tiles' on the popcorn ceiling one at a time?

The reason I am talking all these small pieces is that I don't think I can handle putting up new wallboard or full pieces of paneling on the ceiling. (I have to do this alone.) So basically I guess I am trying to 'make' my own ceiling tiles out of 1/4" high grade plywood and wallpaper.

Is it possible? Is it sane?

Thanks so much for your help guys!

Rainnelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:38 PM   #2

Ceiling work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainnelor View Post
Is it possible? Is it sane?

Thanks so much for your help guys!
Possible?, yes, Sane?...questionable.
If you don't like the popcorn, remove it. Moisten it and scrape it off with a taping knife.
You can rent a drywall hoist for a day and put up a 1/4" sheet of drywall over the popcorn as an option.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:10 AM   #3

Ceiling work

yes, i agree would be much less labour and a much better look to either scrape and smooth the ceiling, or board over and finish.
chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:35 AM   #4

Ceiling work

I was thinking the same thing about covering the ceiling with sheets of drywall. When you screw it in, don't you have to know where the wood members are in order to get a good hold?
woodenSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #5

Ceiling work

are you looking for a specific look or just get rid of the popcorn? if just getting rid of the popcorn is the issue scrap it off....You will have to refinish the ceiling somehow which may mean texturing it or skim coating the whole thing. often ceilings with popcorn had very little attention given to hiding seems since they knew the popcorn would do so.
organick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:06 PM   #6

Ceiling work

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenSpoon View Post
I was thinking the same thing about covering the ceiling with sheets of drywall. When you screw it in, don't you have to know where the wood members are in order to get a good hold?
just covering it will leave a very wavy ceiling at the very least. Yes you need to screw the drywall into the ceiling joists for it to hold.

organick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling, ceiling makeover, ceiling tiles, popcorn ceiling