Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2010, 02:59 PM   #1

Share |

ceiling material for old 12 foot ceiling homes built in 1915

my house was built in 1915. I have 12 foot ceilings and the old hardboards are bowing out. I have removed all the blown in insulatoin from the attic and need to replace the ceilings before I place roll down insulation batting in the attic. what type of ceiling matierials can I obtain ?

what ceiling materials can i use to replace the hardboard ceilings in my home so I can install roll down insulation in the attic? My home is very old built in early 1900's in georgia. Hardboard ceilings are bowing out and need to be replaced. Do not want to use hardboard again. any suggestions?
I am trying to replace old hardboard ceilings? Can I use 1/2 inch plywood instead and will it hold roll down insulation?
I just started working on the inside of my home and need some information on replacement materials.

2 threads on same issue merged

jeanne starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:42 PM   #2
STAFF

Have you given thought to installing a tin ceiling such as below? You will need some type of backing or substrate to hold your insulation up. You suggested 1/2 plywood and that would work for this type of installation. You may be able to use 3/8 inch plywood but if it were mine I would go with 1/2 inch.
Attached Images

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
jeanne starr (09-06-2010)
Old 09-04-2010, 05:34 AM   #3

Why not drywall?
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob22 For This Useful Post:
jeanne starr (09-06-2010), oh'mike (09-04-2010)
Old 09-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #4

If you go with drywall as a replacement and the ceiling joists are 24”on center, use 5/8” in case you decide to use a better insulation than fiberglass. This would support cellulose or another denser insulation that would help seal any air leaks, rather than just filter them.
http://www.energyguide.com/library/E...SubjectID=8375

Air seal the attic first: http://www.rd.com/how-to-seal-attic-...icle18158.html

Older houses, ballooned framed: http://www.wag-aic.org/1999/WAG_99_baker.pdf

Check your attic ventilation: http://www.airvent.com/homeowner/pro...it-specs.shtml

Gary
jeanne starr (09-06-2010)
Old 09-06-2010, 09:44 PM   #5
Household Handyman

"jeanne", I have done work on these older homes here in S.W. GA. with these same ceilings. IF you must take the old hardboard's down I would suggest two things to look at after the old ceiling is removed. Check to assure the bottoms of the ceiling joists area all in line. Some of these older homes were built before having all of the structural elements tie in to each other for strength. I have found that some of these ceiling joist sag more than others and when sheet rock is used it shows this really bad. Use a string from one extreme side of the room to the other, perpendicular to the joist to check this. I like to use strings placed 12" apart to do this. Depending on what you find, you may have to use shims to make the bottoms of all the joists be in line, or you may have to use some type of tension device (cable & turnbuckle) to pull a joist up to match the others. These high ceilings and large rooms in these older homes are hard to put sheet rock up in them and have a nice flat ceiling. Textured ceilings work here. OR--on one home I was working on, the decorator used a textured wall paper to put on the ceiling. The pattern was much like the tin plate type. After the paper had dried, she had the entire ceiling painted a nice soft color much like bronze. Then she used a sponge to highlight the raised pattern of the wall paper and it looked really good.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thurman For This Useful Post:
BigJim (09-06-2010)