Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2011, 10:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

ceiling joist span--closet removal

We want to open up our master bedroom. To do so, we will remove the closet that runs the length of the room. The front wall of the closet is 12 feet from the outside wall, The back wall is the load bearing wall (not to be removed) with 2 x 8 ceiling joist spaced at 12 inches. Removing the front wall of the closet increases the span by 2-3 feet for a total span of 15 feet. House was built in 1954, I can't really tell what the wood type is but we live in Wisconsin and the wood is probably native to the state.

Most of the tables I have looked at for this say the minimum maximum is 18 feet(based on wood type). Just checking to see if this makes sense.

thanks

bigoldgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigoldgeek View Post
We want to open up our master bedroom. To do so, we will remove the closet that runs the length of the room. The front wall of the closet is 12 feet from the outside wall, The back wall is the load bearing wall (not to be removed) with 2 x 8 ceiling joist spaced at 12 inches. Removing the front wall of the closet increases the span by 2-3 feet for a total span of 15 feet. House was built in 1954, I can't really tell what the wood type is but we live in Wisconsin and the wood is probably native to the state.

Most of the tables I have looked at for this say the minimum maximum is 18 feet(based on wood type). Just checking to see if this makes sense.

thanks
A span of 18' is too long for a 2x8. Before you did anything, you need to know what's going on with the structure in the ceiling above this room.
Is the wall you're removing, holding up the ceiling? Is it a load bearing wall.
You need to go up in the attic and look around. Take some pictures and tell us the relationship of the joists to the closet wall.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:47 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

as I stated, the back wall of the closet is the load bearing wall, that is where the joist butt together with the ones that run to the front wall. The front closet wall(and back) run north/south. The ceiling joist run 12 inches apart east/west. The post say that the current front wall of the closet that we want to remove is 12 feet from the outside wall, taking out the closet increases the span to 14 and 1/2 feet.
bigoldgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:12 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigoldgeek View Post
as I stated, the back wall of the closet is the load bearing wall, that is where the joist butt together with the ones that run to the front wall. The front closet wall(and back) run north/south. The ceiling joist run 12 inches apart east/west. The post say that the current front wall of the closet that we want to remove is 12 feet from the outside wall, taking out the closet increases the span to 14 and 1/2 feet.
There will be a grading stamp on the wood. As long as you stay at #2 and above, the span should be okay.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling span. remove wall