DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

ceiling fan support

8K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  DUDE! 
#1 ·
Have cathedral ceiling with no support joists, but have one rafter about 4 inches off center...ceiling angle is 18 degrees. My scenario is to cut a 2X12, angle sides to 18 degrees, drill 4 inch hole in center(which I have split two pieces of 2X12 already trying to do...any ideas?), mount the fan box in the hole,secured by steel rod across top of 2X12 so it won't fall through, and mount the finished 2X12 to ceiling center, using lag bolts to attach to the one rafter and regular wood screws on the other side to attach to the ceiling boards. Is there a better way...without cutting into the ceiling and trying to span rafters with a 2X4? Also, any ideas for quickly cutting that 4" hole in the 2X12 for the electrical box? I tried, using a 3 inch hole saw, but don't know how to enlarge it to 4 inches without splitting the wood...which I have already done on two pieces. Any ideas are appreciated, as long as I don't have to cut into the ceiling and can mount the thing dead center, not angled on the ceiling. Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
Try to find one of these:

Should be at most home improvement centers. They fit through a standard ceiling box opening and expand into the joists on both sides. The box slides to any position on the bar so centering is not a problem.

EDIT: OK, I read some more on the product shown and it is for accessible spaces. They look similar for inaccessible spaces, just make sure that's what you get.

Attachments

#3 ·
Thanks for the info. I had considered these joist spanners, but my problem is that the only spanning I can do is between rafters, which are set at 18 degrees. Being totally enclosed, I would have to hope that there would be enough bite on a rafter set at that angle so that the box would hang level. I may end up biting the bullet on that and making a wild stab at it, but I don't want to cut into the ceiling unless I absolutely have to. Thanks again.:thumbup:

#5 ·
This fan support, is it possible to just swap it into a standard light box cut out? how does is fasten? I currently have a light box attached to a joist in standard fashion, but I want to install a fan. I understand that this expands between the joists, but how the heck would you get a drill in there to attach it? I'm trying not to cut the drywall around the existing light prewire box. Will this work or is there something else? Also, what is the brand name of this product? I can't read it or enlarge it to see properly. Thanks a lot. just found this site and love it.

Benjamin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.